GWP First time shooting

Dave C

Was out doing a bit of training with DurhamPointer's GWP Alfie, DP started him on a 30ft line and he gradualy let him out until he let it trail behind this big lad.

picz2001.jpg

He was steadier than either of us thought and hunted close to us.

picz2007.jpg

DP making Alfie remain steady at a distance

picz2005.jpg

I managed to shoot a few eventually and Alfie put in some good retreives.

He also came on Point very well.

picz2008.jpg

picz2010.jpg

picz2011.jpg

All in all a good start for Alfie and i look forward to shooting over him again.

It was ironic as it was 3 years to the day i lost my GWP and here i was with a cracking example of the breed.

Mack RIP

pics06046.jpg

Dave.

Edited by Dave C

The Dog shown hunting with the long tail belongs to my mate Durhampointer who has just joined this site, his dog Alfie is i think about 14 month and coming along nicely.

The Dog in the last picture with my son is Mack, he died 3 years ago, the picture was taken only a month before we lost him.

He was only 9, he was fit as a fiddle one day then a had a stroke out of the blue, only lasted a month after that.

He was a good worker in his day and an excellent family gardian.

Dave.

this looks a good forum :good:

i was pleased to see my young pointer generally behaving himself and coming onto point a few times.he has pointed a few things before in hedges etc but this was his first time on the fell and dales type land we love to hunt over.i might take him ferreting this weekend as thats one job id like him to do..........mark sets,watch over nets and catch the odd bolter without running after them off-course. :lol: .

mixi has been very bad up here in the north of england....................im up the moors and dales at least once a week,usually twice and i dont think ive had one session since last august where a mixied rabbit hasnt been caught.just as many show no sign of mixi but are skin and bone and almost dead.awful to see :unsure: :lol:

i shot a pigeon this evening with the air-rifle.it dropped and i thought it was a good shot but i couldnt find it so i let Alfie hunt for it and he came on point infront of a patch of bramble quite far away from where i shot the bird.the pigeon was dead but he wouldnt go in for the retrieve but stayed on point.

i was happy enough with that as he did find it.early days yet but i like this dog.now i just need to keep him in work even if its just tagging along on vermin shoots.

Whilst talking to a keeper last night we agreed this would be the last weekend for the season.Ill still be up there on some parts messing about through the summer but daytime hunting with lurchers is over untill the end of august. .Ive had a great season working the lurcher plus ratting and other sport.I had planned to start Alfie next season but seeing as im out with the lurcher tomorrow i thought id spend the morning showing him what the ferret does and trying to stop him running after escaping rabbits.

At this time of year what rabbits are left have seen a few dogs and dont sit tight so whilst he came on point a few times the rabbits were soon away.I started the morning by simply bolting rabbits and stopping him from running after them,he seemed to learn what i wanted.His marking is quite good so i netted up a couple of little earths and after being gently told off for grabbing at a netted bunny he stood beside the other two i caught.

As we were walking back he pointed at a clump of reeds and when told to get in came out with a nearly dead rabbit.sad to see but at least its out of its misery.i dont mind him catching rabbits in the seat,i just dont want him ruinning after them if he misses.

The grouse were taking advantage of the sunny morning and the slow drive back over the moor seeing the different birds getting ready to breed was a pleasing sight.I love being on the fells,dales and moors,im not too bothered about what is caught as long as im up there every week.

GOD BLESS THE NORTH OF ENGLAND :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

04042009159.jpg

04042009164.jpg

04042009163.jpg

04042009161.jpg

04042009156.jpg

04042009155.jpg

04042009154.jpg

04042009152.jpg

04042009151.jpg

I am pleased he did well for you with the ferrets mate, he is making a good alrounder and was marking the sets well last week, so i am sure he will be a good member of your ferreting team.

Back out with the guns Monday night, hope you can make it.

Dave.

Was out yesterday with Jamie and Durhampointer, we had my little bitch Fudge and Durhampointer's GWP Alfie.

picz003.jpg

picz3009.jpg

picz3001a1.jpg

picz3008.jpg

Sorry not many pictures,

Both dogs hunted well, Alfie continued with his pointing and both put in some good retreives.

Dave.