Saturday on the peas

henry d

I managed to get a day with my pal Lucky Jim at the pigeons this weekend, our shifts don`t mesh too often but when it does it can be a good day out....even if we don`t shoot much :yes:

I remembered to get the frozen pigeons out the day prior and we were on the field, sown earlier that week, at 7-45. There were birds all over it in bunches of 5 to 100+ and the field is above a burn and is all little mounds and is always a nightmare to plough/sow.

We set up together on a headland that protrudes into the field, I always feel these places can work well with peas as the viners have probs sowing it well and as such a good few peas end up on the surface and it also seems to grow patchy and affords good shooting after the rest of the crop is inaccessible to the birds.

It was an almost windless day so we didn`t expect any record bags and the light breeze started from NE and swung round to E then later SW so the deeks were just in 2 big bunches and the rotary was first near us then later 50 yds out and the bouncers were just putting birds off, so they came in.

It was just slow steady shooting until 2pm when it went quiet and we packed up with 44 and a scut(feral). Laugh of the day was when I turned round in the hide and after shooting the bird, turned back in time to catch Jims gun as he fell sideways off his seat !! Glad we have good hide discipline as if the gun was not on safe and empty it could have been a brown trouser moment :good:

post-1301-1240339955.jpg