Express English Sporter Fibre

Hi folks,

I saw these are back on the market so thought i'd give them a try. I won't be buying anymore! I'm a big fan of Express cartridges loaded with Vectan powder but these are loaded with a grey disc type powder. Are these re-branded D&J? Afew of us tried them together and all had the same results. Clouds of confetti with every shot fired and it got worse when i got home!

The area around the forcing cones in each barrel were filthy with powder residue. It couldn't be plastic and if it was lead it would have been streaks. I eventually had to use an old bottle of Hoppes No9 and literally scrubbed it off with a bronze brush. The bore snake didn't even touch it. My barrels aren't chromed but i've never had any trouble cleaning them with any other cartridge.

I'm going back to High Velocity/vectan powder!

Has anyone else had trouble with these?

I noticed the same thing, I usually use Eley firsts but local RFD were selling these £10 a thousand cheaper (£122) so I thought I would give them ago, wish I had not bothered, apart from dirty barrels you get a smoke screen and you cant see what you hit. I have gone back to Eley firsts now.

According to my local RFD they are a cancelled US order so Express are selling them off cheap. They will not be available once they are all sold.

That sounds about right as i remember them being on sale afew years ago then they dissappeared. I imagine the americans fired afew thou then sent the lot back!!

My friends and I have been using the plastic wad version. At only £116/1000 they are cheap. They didn't notice any excess smoke on firing and they were smashing the clays to dust. I did notice that some batches came in white and some in red cases. :good:

I would certainly buy more at that price.

Si

I have it on good authority from an Express dealer that they are, in particular adversely affected by cold temperature. They burn less efficiently when stored cold and leave more residue as a result. This obviously applies to any cartridge, but the difference in this case is marked.

The same applies to D&Js - notably one of the muckiest carts I've ever used but they arent as bad when stored inside a warm house..............apparently.

Yeah had the same down here.They started off in clear cases and now gone red.

They are dirty and leave quite big lumps of residue.I was gonna say about the smoke but Chris already mentioned it!They dont even smell like the normally vectan powder altho express reckon it is!!

I found they hit ok and didnt have any problems on that front - unlike the d&j's and rio's i dont rate.