Best Single shot pnuematic

Whitebridges

My nephew (14) has saved up and wants to buy a new airgun. He's been reading airgun world etc and has set his heart on a pre-charged. Multi-shots look a bit expensive so a single shot looks to be the answer.He's got £400 to spend, inc sights and mounts. He will be shooting pests around the farm.Any thoughts or has anyone any good secondhand gear they would like to sell?

The AA S200 is a very good gun for the price, very light, accurate and full power, It is also very quiet with the air arms silencer. For his budget he will be able to get a reasonably good scope/mounts. There is also the charging equipment to consider if he doesn't already have this.

Also due to the recent change of law :< I don't think he can legally own an airgun as he is only 14.

Edited by Gareth0689

Hi mate

I have just got the Webley Venom Viper for £350 and the scope ond mounts cost £50 so that would be in his price range. The gun is realy light and the two shot is realy good. I shot two rabbits last night put them in the pot today. Have a look at your local gun shops or www.uttings.com

All the best The Gibbon :lol:

hi there,

well im going to second the Air Arms S200, had one my self and the only reason i sold it was i got fed up hitting drawing pins at 35 yards LOL (sounds impresive unytil you get one yourself LOL)

they are an excellent rifle and small enough for little (and not so little) hands.

Not only is it one of the cheaper PCP rifles it is up there with the best on accuracy.

one good/bad thing about them is the small air cylinder gives about 40 shots per charge, but that means you only got to put about 40 pumps (using pump) back into it so you should still have enough puff to stay on target :lol:

js ramsbottoms is about the cheapest place to get them as long as you dont mind mail order. I think they are doing them for about £290 (rifle mounts and scope probably 3-4-40) then you would be needing to add about £100 for a pump unless you have a divers cylinder to charge the rifle from.

but in my opinion the S200 is probably the best rifle you could get under £300. its light its accurate and with a silencer fitted (not included in the above price) and they even do a multishot add on for it whoich is about £60 i think!

so add it all up

rifle/scope £280

pump £100

silencer £40 (ish) logun or air arms about the best)

multishot mag £60

pelletss £7per 500 (air Arms Filed)

£387 and stll money left for a bottle of pop and a packet of crisps LOL

though as has been said above he would not be alowed to actualy own the rifle.

whats sort of size is he regarding secoind hand equipment. one of the lightest out there thats around the £200 mark is the gunpower stealth but they come in two types those that shoot well and rthose that dont and there no telling which one it is until you have parted with the hard earned.

if hes a little on the bigger side just about all pre charge rifles are as good as each other (though some slightly better than the rest LOL)

for £400 you could probably get just about any of the mid priced PCP rifles with scope and charging gear(air arms/webley/daystate/logun-axor) and still have some let for crisps and pop :P

hope this helps you out a little

all the best

ROB :D

PS almost forgot it might be an idea to find out where you local airgun club is they are almost all very friendly and more thasn happy to help out and most the time willing to let try to se how the rifle sits with any new shooter. if your not sure where your local club is just ask on here and am sure there be someone who can help you out :lol: then again if your down in kent i know just the place : :lol:

Edited by roblade

Whitebridges I sort of get the feeling that youngmans is expensively priced I could be wrong but like anything know what you could pay for things elsewhere beforehand.

There is something to be said to be able to have what you want immediately rather than wait for delivery though.

Otherwise you could check out uttings.com they are based in Norwich but no longer have a shop which is a shame. You also have Michael Tawns out towards Peterborough way which is where I bought my Lightning from.

Also may be worth looking at the single shot BSA Hornet.

Cheers,

Ben

This is something thats been on my mind for a while now. I looked at various models but finally decided on the Logon Solo. Its slightly more expensive than the Air Arms 200 but in my opinion is well worth the extra few pounds. It looks damn nice, has good write ups and weighs very little.

The only thing thats stopping me from buying one at the mo is that I figure that, that sort of investment should also get you multi shot too.

Regards,

Axe

For your information we picked up a Daystate MkII Huntsman in .22 ( personally I would have insisted on a .177) with a 3-9x40 scope for £250 after trading in a BSA meteor. After an afternoon Zero session Mike is delighted with it. It grouped superbly out to 35yards. The gun was in fantastic nick, no marks on the metal work and a few tiny scratches on the wood work. We looked long and hard at the guns mentioned above. Pick of the others was definately the AA S400 but we didn't go there really because of price. The help we got from Chris at: http://www.pellpax.co.uk/

was excellent, nothing was too much trouble. Next weekend we'll do some hunting on our small shoot and see how it goes. Thanks for all your views everyone.

I have to agree with Axe a Logun Solo for that bit extra cash get's alot more rifle for your money, although if you want to put a little extra more money in a multi shot PCP will be the way to go, but hey who am I to say i still have my trusty HW77k but am looking to upgrade to a PCP LOGUN S16S when funds permit.

Good Luck

Jason

Edited by JJaxeman

I know that this is slightly irrelevant (for me as I do not have the money for either :) ) but I cannot see the point of having a single shot pcp. If you go that route then it is better to have multi-shot, whatever make you choose.

I have lost count of the times I could have done with a second shot because the target has not scarpered off, or there was two targets close togther!

The movement of re-cocking or reloading always scares them off :D