cracked .17 case

this morning I fired my 17 for the first time in a month. It made a very strange sound - I can't describe it, but it was very recognisable as being out of the ordinary. I immediately wondered if perhaps the bullet had got stuck in the barrel (as can happen if there is a problem with the powder), but it was clear. I then noticed that the spent case has a crack running down about 5mm from the top. I'm assuming that this was just a faulty cartridge, it seems to have been shooting fine since then.

Anyone else experienced anything similar?

is it a .17 rem and are they homeloads :good:? my .17 rem used to do the same until I started limiting the amount of times I reloaded them, kept to 3 reloads and seems to work, being very small cases they dont seem to resize as often as the larger stuff, the brass seems to harden quicker and therefore crack

if it was a factory load then it could have been a faulty case,although I have not seen this myself on new brass.

this morning I fired my 17 for the first time in a month. It made a very strange sound - I can't describe it, but it was very recognisable as being out of the ordinary. I immediately wondered if perhaps the bullet had got stuck in the barrel (as can happen if there is a problem with the powder), but it was clear. I then noticed that the spent case has a crack running down about 5mm from the top. I'm assuming that this was just a faulty cartridge, it seems to have been shooting fine since then.

Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Do you have a moderator on it? If there was any kind of hiss or whooshing sound it could have been unburnt powder in the moderator igniting - I've had it happen a few times if I've not used or cleaned the mod for a while.

I wouldn't worry about the cracked case. I've had a loads but I've never heard of it doing any damage.

John

Do you have a moderator on it? If there was any kind of hiss or whooshing sound it could have been unburnt powder in the moderator igniting - I've had it happen a few times if I've not used or cleaned the mod for a while.

I wouldn't worry about the cracked case. I've had a loads but I've never heard of it doing any damage.

John

yes thats exactly what it was - thanks for all the replies.

It's fine, don't worry. I had one do it a couple of months back though and it shocked me. I've had loads go like the ones in the picture, but this one really split. I got a fairly obvious blow back from the bolt area and the case was split right down one side to within about 10mm of the rim :good: