Need some coaching in Surrey/Sussex

Pete747

Can anyone recommend a good coach in the Surrey/West Sussex area for sporting please? I live in Redhill so anything within an hour or so would be good.

I’ve been clay shooting for about 3 years and to be honest haven’t really had any coaching or my gunfit checked at all apart from a couple of lessons right at the beginning and I think I’ve got into some bad habits. It's now getting to the point that I’m walking up to stands and convincing myself I’m going to miss before I even shout “Pullâ€.

When I started I was averaging around 75/100 which I was quite happy about but recently that has slipped to high 60’s and I think I need someone to sort out the basics and kick my ****. Ideally I’d like to find someone that could do weekends or evenings as getting time off work during the week is a bit tricky.

I know I can get the BASC or CPSA list of coaches but there’s nothing like a recommendation.

Any suggestions

Pete

Can anyone recommend a good coach in the Surrey/West Sussex area for sporting please? I live in Redhill so anything within an hour or so would be good.

I’ve been clay shooting for about 3 years and to be honest haven’t really had any coaching or my gunfit checked at all apart from a couple of lessons right at the beginning and I think I’ve got into some bad habits. It's now getting to the point that I’m walking up to stands and convincing myself I’m going to miss before I even shout “Pullâ€.

When I started I was averaging around 75/100 which I was quite happy about but recently that has slipped to high 60’s and I think I need someone to sort out the basics and kick my ****. Ideally I’d like to find someone that could do weekends or evenings as getting time off work during the week is a bit tricky.

I know I can get the BASC or CPSA list of coaches but there’s nothing like a recommendation.

Any suggestions

Pete

Pete

I used Frank Copper at Meadowhead in tunbridge wells (there are other coaches there, but personally think he's the best) - a small, but very personal school, he is a CPSA reg. coach & a member of the institute of instructors. a couple of other family members have used him, all enjoyed the lessons & found very beneficial. not sure if that is too far for you.....?

link

http://www.clayshoots.co.uk/contact.html

Bit steep at £65 per hout - or is it

£65 per hour pretty standard wherever I've looked. pretty much all in at meadowhead.....think you may pay for carts, difference with dartford & places like that is you pay tracey £50-60.... then pay for carts AND clays extra (as that is obviously a cost to her)..... so you end up paying the £65-70 anyway...!

had a lesson at west kent, more expensive than £65 .... as the instructor took a claymate cube with him, dropped me back to clubhouse & you pay for what used.... plus carts if you didn't have your own (which obviously beginners & those without licences don't)

Edited by jonnyoftheboy

Thats the sort of recommendation I was looking for and Tunbridge Wells would be fine - thanks for the link I'll have a look

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete

took my dad for a lesson with frank yesterday. my dad is 68, never shot before..... loved every minute.... teaching was at a perfect level for him. was hitting going aways, crossers, quartering by the end. so again, recommended...

Indeed, correct :(

Qualified as a Senior Coach with the CPSA in 1996.

Coaching representative for SE region 1998-2001

Previous owner of Gatwick Shooting school now run by the Reeces ( sold to go to work full time with CPSA)

Full time Training and Safety Manager based at CPSA HQ Bisley 2002-2007, Senior Tutor ( ie teaching the teachers, most of the other Instructors mentioned in the thread were trained under the CPSA training schemes headed by me in that period).

Independent since then, mainly providing gun fit lessons coupled with gun sales through my site mentioned.

Lessons provided at Ridgewood between Horley and Reigate where we have 60 acres of wooded shoot plus a 120ft tower with 4 traps and an open area. Everything from flying dustbin lids nobody can miss to the most diabolical world class fitasc stuff.

Edited by clayman

The Other Half & I used a guy called Ross Straker for our lessons(AAA instructor & CPSA qualifed). Very good coach, knows his stuff & very easy going. Price may be about the same or slightly cheaper than Meadowhead. We were shooting over at Bolebroke Castle (between Hartfield & Edenbridge). PM me if you want his details.

JOTB - WKSS are megabucks when it comes to tuition as we found out when we were looking around.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Thanks for all the names & suggestions guys.

On Friday of last week I met up with Jerry Parks Young at his home and had a good meeting where we checked gunfit & stance etc and then on Tues we went down to Bisley for a couple of hours on the skeet & trap layouts which proved really useful and got me back to basics. I had never shot skeet before so learnt a lot in a short space of time.

I've got several areas now that I need to work on and then I think the next step will be to have another session somewhere and focus on sporting targets.

Thoroughly enjoyed the sessions and it highlighted a few bad habits that I had obviously go into that I now have to drop.

If anyone wants any more info PM me and happy to discuss.

Peter