First trip to a new permission.

I have managed to get another permission about 2 miles from my house.

I went to a local farmers market bought a bit of meat then on for some salad and potatos, i got chatting to the guy selling it and i happened to bring up rabbits and how he might have trouble with them and he does. I quickly offered my help in sorting them out. He said it would be great for me to shoot them on his farm (55 acres).

He then asked me to come and have a look and see what i could do about them, and could i meet him that evening at the farm.

I have a few farms i shoot at and it has always hard work getting permission to shoot, now i had a farmer offering me veg in return for my time.

I jumped at the chance and met him that evening. He showed my around pointed out problem areas, and there were quite a few rabbits around. He left me to it and i had a walk around with the Ruger .22 rimfire as dusk was setting in.

The first field was in grass to be cut for hay. But as i was walking very slowly, a rabbit moved out of the long grass to the edge where it was shorter, about 50 yards away i lined up and dropped it where it was, the noise from my rifle with the SAK mod was just enough to scare another rabbit into the shorter grass and i give him the good news as well.

I wanted to make a good impression on my first outing and in the end of my first walk around gave me 10 rabbits hanging on the fence around the farm. I started my walk to collect the rabbits and spotted a big rabbit about 80 yards out i had a fence post close by so a nice leaning shot, a well placed shot that was his lot, then another 2 rabbits appeared by the dead one 2 more shots 2 more rabbits in the bag. So a total bag of 13 rabbits. I hung the rabbits on a stick put them over my sholder and walked back.

Just goes to show how effective the .22 rimfire can be, i will take my 17 hmr there when the rabbits wise up a bit or the farmer wants me to sort a certain field, which i would do from a static point on the bipod.

I met the farmer as i got back to my truck, he was extremely happy and gave new some lovely new potatos.

In the next few days i will take the lamp and see how that goes. :good:

Proper job my ansome - them Cornish farmers are well up for covering expenses in various ways in return for a good shooters work. I had a call this week to pop in and see one when I'm down that way again which happens to be at the start of June.

He'll be up for a brick of HMR rounds a year - or a couple of fuel tank top ups. :good:

Proper job my ansome - them Cornish farmers are well up for covering expenses in various ways in return for a good shooters work.

They are usally nice people and there are lots of small farms still, instead of huge 1000 acre jobs. I always give my farmers a couple of pork chops everytime i have a pig go to slaughter, they seem to really like the touch and keep me in mind when they need help with the vermin.

They are usally nice people and there are lots of small farms still, instead of huge 1000 acre jobs. I always give my farmers a couple of pork chops everytime i have a pig go to slaughter, they seem to really like the touch and keep me in mind when they need help with the vermin.

Nice find. :good:

Also you are quite right, "what goes around comes around". :yes: