URBAN FOXES BEING RELEASED

smig4373

Charle t...I know your quoting facts,But.....If the foxes are from urban areas and released in to rural areas then the welfare needs of that animal havnt been addressed....Thus beaking the rules and deeming the action illegal....if the R.S.P.C.A come out everynight and feed these foxes then it wouldnt be illegal,but they dont,so it is...If its happening then it needs reporting,even if there was no prosecution,it might stop this practice...The R.S.P.C.A wouldnt like the bad publicity considering there charity based...

At least where all on the same side on this subject...

One of the farms i shoot on the farmer thinks there are urban foxes being released as he has caught well over a 150 foxes in the last coiple of years in a cage trap out side his house. One of his neighbours was feeding up to 8 foxes at a time in his garden and when ever this happens he has a fox in his cage trap every morning, he has caught 8 in march this year and he caught another a couple of weeks ago. The neighbouring farm used to be a chicken farm and one winter there was over 100 foxes snared there and these are small farms of no more than 70 acres so there must be something up. this is in south wales by the way.

The numbers you're quoting are not unusual for Wales and the West Country, where stock farms prevail. Here in the East, where 95% of land is in arable use, fox numbers are inherently lower.

Well the twist there for me is, believing that there is no catch and release for pest species, anyone who has trapped a pest species is responsible for its termination.

Actually now I find out its legal to release native species, pest or not and the person is only prosecutable if they can prove that they were released without the animals welfare being considered. Is that right :D

I thought exactly the same thing when i got the reply from defra, but it shouldn't surprise us really now should it.

Charlie is right in saying a bit of "reporting" can seriously twist the way a few words sound.

Also smig it would be pretty difficult to prove that the fox couldn't feed itself unless you were to find some that were badly emaciated, the people doing the releasing probably do take some food of some sort out to the release site for a few weeks anyway.

It really doesn't matter though, because who is going to be daft enough to take on the rspca in court over this sort of thing. If anyone did it would get dragged out for ever with the best lawyers that money could buy. There is no way the rspca would allow itself to get bested in court over an animal rights issue. I for one would not want to risk ending up penniless over the fact that i have a few more foxes to shoot each year with or without tattoos and operation scars.

Badshot

ps. i seriously doubt that the rspca is doing masses of releasing, i feel it is more likely the smaller animal rescue groups, and councils.

Edited by badshot

I thought exactly the same thing when i got the reply from defra, but it shouldn't surprise us really now should it.

Well thats where I got the info from too, well through my landowner. He owns 3 or 4 farms (owns or rents not sure) and his son lives on the smallest plot (40 acres) and they had a problem with badgers and foxes. Now he's a lover of foxes unfortunately so none are allowed to be shot, so he contacted the NFU about trapping the animals and moving them 4 miles down the road and releasing them onto his bigger farm. They quoted a reply form DEFRA, stating that they are not allowed to catch and relocate as there is no policy for catch and release, and that anyone who traps a pest species is responsible for its termination. There was nothing mentioned about native species or ensuring the animals welfare after release :rolleyes:

Left hand :rolleyes:

Right hand :lol:

Usual story then taffy, big organisations without a sensible head have no idea about what they are doing.

Was it given in written form or just as a phone call? Be interesting to see it and compare to what was sent to me.

And i do agree with you smig, it shouldn't matter how big an organisation is, it should not be above the law.

The only thing that worries me is what we will do if the ammo runs out. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We have spates of tagged/tatooed ear foxes in Wiltshire, usually found quite easily and invariably carrying mange; we keep controlling them but have no sightings of vans dropping them off to follow up on.

Either way you look at this, it's not right. Whoever is doing it doesn't understand what happens when they release the urban foxes in the fields; misinformed, idealistic and (sorry to stereotype) so damm 'townie'.

Maybe we should start catching rats and releasing them back into the urban areas - same principles apply, surely? :good: