Scuba Diving

LXX73

Me too had a knee op. Had 4 weeks off and another 3 to go. Much better than working.

ouch! :good:

mines not so dramatic, got some sort of "flu-like virus" according to the doc. agony all over and can hardly breathe, but look on the bright side - the painkillers give me a couple of hours floaty time every day :blink:

Is it worthwhile joining a club in the UK as I don't really know how much time i'd have to commit? My idea was to get qualified so that I could go diving when I go abroad. Don't mind joining a club to get qualified but wouldn't they expect long term commitment(not sure how much time i'd have as i've got plenty of other hobbies)

my club starts a new intake every October and via two nights a week (Thur's and sunday) gives a pool session and a theory session by march you will (if you are keen) be a sports diver, the cost for this is that you "join the club" IE pay your membership fee which is £85 now bear in mind membership runs from April to April and you join in October and normal membership starts April it means you get 18 months? ie if you remain a member your training was FREE!

we have two club boats one permanently in the water during summer months and one available for a "trip" away

both available to any member qualified to use them and plan dives ( 90% of the membership)

plus with basc a club there is no ambiguity re x over from padi to worry about, oh and yes padi serves its purpose but it does NOT teach you all you need straight off everything is an add on, diver rescue etc, would I dive with a diver who can get down but has not been trained to rescue me should something happen ? no I think not, and I have seen to many padi divers including one instructor who would not be safe in the bath? diving is a great hobby and with modern technology so much easier and safer ( my 1st dive suit was shark skin cut and glued together at home!!) now you can dive truly dry and warm,have computers to save you working out times etc and to control your ascent, its a doddle,

I have my own purpose built dive boat that is used to take up to 6 lads out wrecking, I used to do nothing else

mind you 3 X 40+ meter dives a day like we used to do is not to be recommended? but we survived? and now we are older we do it by the book, safely the bsac way.

so do it you will never regret it

KW

Went to Sharm a couple of years ago, excellent holiday. The marine life is fantastic, snorkelled 2 or 3 times everyday and did my PADI. Did a few dives, and saw a white tipped reef shark, a green back turtle and milk fish as highlights. Am planning to go again and upgrade to advanced, and do some wreck dives.

Went first 2 weeks of november, weather was great!

Most of my diving has been in the Red Sea,mainly off Saudi (breathtaking) but a few times off Sharm in recent years. Camel Divers are best I think,based at Naama Bay. Why not do a course before you go just so you can get stuck in?

I did the Padi which I think has equipped me fine for the sort of dives I have done (warm water,good vis etc). If I was to dive the UK then I would do what my mates did and do BSAC.

Sharm has become very busy but you can still do great diving if you get out early enough.The last time I remember looking down the drop off at Tiran Straits only to see a bunch of other divers .

Dahab is much less busy and the dive sites are all within spitting distance.I loved Dahab.

I have dived with unsafe divers from all disciplines Bsac,Padi,Naui,Professional....Get what you want out of whichever course you pick.Even the best qualified are able to rip up the rule book.

The best qualified rescue diver is not worth 5hi7 as a buddy if they have gone off and left you!!

I know Egypt quite well,pm me if need any info.

I've been out to Sharm three or four times, each time with Emperor Divers, and they looked after me very well. Camel is also a big name out there; you won't go wrong with either of them. As others have said, the diversity of the life around the reef edges is amazing, but by far the best fun I had was rolling on my back and looking up at the hundreds of topless Italian snorkelling ladies. Oh yes.

Do the Fast Track course, where they send you a book and a DVD to swot up with at home for a month before you go out - that'll minimise the time you have to spend in a classroom and pool.

Have a great trip!

Edited by Al Downie

I've been out to Sharm three or four times, each time with Emperor Divers, and they looked after me very well. Camel is also a big name out there; you won't go wrong with either of them. As others have said, the diversity of the life around the reef edges is amazing, but by far the best fun I had was rolling on my back and looking up at the hundreds of topless Italian snorkelling ladies. Oh yes.

Do the Fast Track course, where they send you a book and a DVD to swot up with at home for a month before you go out - that'll minimise the time you have to spend in a classroom and pool.

Have a great trip!

Maybe i'll leave the mrs at home :good:

Having been diving for the last 5 years and BSAC trained and qualified I am off on a Red Sea liveaboard in September for the first time. Of the 350 dives completed, only approximately 30 odd done in blue waters all the rest around the UK coast and I think its fantastic and full of marine life so dont find much need to go abroad.

BSAC club training is slower then PADI so if you are in a rush and is a quick learner then train via PADI but if your slightly anxious and need time to assimilate the information then go BSAC.

BSAC

Ocean diver 20 metres including dry suit training and nitrox

Sports Diver 35 metres including rescue skills and deployment of DSMB

Dive Leader 50 metres including practical rescue managment

All diving include 3 minutes safety stop at 6 metres

PADI

Open water 15 metres

AOW 30 metres

Rescue Skills

Dry Suit training

Deep Dive

Deployment of DSMB

P = Put

A = ANother

D = Dollar

I = In

Edited by Yazzy

go to mexico,its $400 plus your extra dives knocks it up to around £600 in sharm.In mexico its £200 for the p.a.d.i course and the extra dives are cheap as chips.

the sea is'nt as nice as the red sea though :rolleyes:

and I might come back squealing like a pig. Oh and no Lee I haven't got a pretty mouth.

I used to be an instructor and would only say, go BSAC all the way. The PADI divers who came to me for further training were just not as safe and in somecases just plain dangerous.

There are gumbies in every sport, no matter who instructs them or which club they're a member of. I'd say that if you're really interested in scuba as a long-term hobby, then go with BSAC and enjoy the theory and tinkering with gadgets and diving in murky British water and maybe seeing a cod. And expect to find arrogant tossers with beards who will treat you like cr4p and dictate that if you haven't got 20yrs experience of diving in a swimming pool, you haven't earned the right to look at a cod.

If you want to have a great holiday and see the maximum amount of amazing colourful fish for the minimum investment of time and money, go to Sharm on a PADI fast-track course. But be warned - PADI can be expensive if you get sucked into further holidays/courses etc!

Edited by Al Downie

There are gumbies in every sport, no matter who instructs them or which club they're a member of. I'd say that if you're really interested in scuba as a long-term hobby, then go with BSAC and enjoy the theory and tinkering with gadgets and diving in murky British water and maybe seeing a cod. If you want to have a great holiday and see the maximum amount of amazing colourful fish for the minimum investment of time and money, go to Sharm on a PADI fast-track course. But be warned - PADI can be expensive if you get sucked into further holidays/courses etc!

obviously you have no idea what the waters around the UK are actually like? I have dived the red sea many many times

1st did the thistlegorm etc 20 odd year's ago,nice as is Malta, gibraltar all the usual warm and "clear" places etc etc but for me the life around the uk is just as good try going to say McKenzies rock out in the Atlantic its like diving in an aquarium plus you get the chance to bring home the odd memento from the SS Labrador that is sat on it, or dive around the western isles , eyemouth, or the farne's in fact during dry calm spells of weather even the normally colored waters of the east coast become gin like and the marine life to see is amazing, mind you travel out further and go deeper and decent viz is ALWAYS available as are the wrecks?

KW

obviously you have no idea what the waters around the UK are actually like? I have dived the red sea many many times

1st did the thistlegorm etc 20 odd year's ago,nice as is Malta, gibraltar all the usual warm and "clear" places etc etc but for me the life around the uk is just as good try going to say McKenzies rock out in the Atlantic its like diving in an aquarium plus you get the chance to bring home the odd memento from the SS Labrador that is sat on it, or dive around the western isles , eyemouth, or the farne's in fact during dry calm spells of weather even the normally colored waters of the east coast become gin like and the marine life to see is amazing, mind you travel out further and go deeper and decent viz is ALWAYS available as are the wrecks?

That does all sound great, but can you do it in your first week of diving with BSAC?

That does all sound great, but can you do it in your first week of diving with BSAC?

no I will concede on that one, but it does not take long and is worth the effort

KW

Thanks for all the input, i've decided to book on the Padi Openwater(might go onto advanced) with Camel dive. Regards BSAC if I decide it's something I want to commit alot of time to then i'll probably join that later.

Camel will look after you.They have a great bar too next door with a rooftop area.My mate I have dived with there each time is a BSAC dive leader and says they are good.The big stuff should be lurking off the reefs about this time of year so I hope you are in for some spectacular dives.Have a great time.