Hunting Boar

Okay well it is approaching the time i apply to uni and am planning on taking a gap year. In this gap year i intend to do a lot of stalking/hunting as opposed to the usual oz and New Zeland. The things i intend to take on my gap year are: Red Deer, Six pointer Roe, Fallow and if i can Boar. I understand the way you go about deer but, as for boar i am clueless. So how is it done? i don't want to do driven shooting as i assume it will be very expensive but was looking to take maybe one or two boar. For this would it be high seat stalking or can you do it proper stalking on foot? Where is the best place to go? and what is a good caliber of rifle? thanks for the help,

(This topic is also in 'other types of shooting' i just didn't know how to move it sorry)

George

From what I can gather you can do either fella. There's a guy on our forum who runs trips in Hungary I believe. He offers quite a good package too...

http://www.airgununiverse.co.uk/forum/members/osok/

He can also supply estate rifles, his packages are all inclusive except for the flights but once you step foot on Hungarian soil he picks you up, organises hotels, rifles the lot :D

When I asked questions about suitable rifle for Deer stalking and possibly Boar the two most popular calibres I was advised were .308 or the 6.5x55 swedish :D

theres plenty of places to go mate, though mostly (it seems) eastern europe; a friends was telling me theres alot of boars in france too but he wasnt hunting them (yet) so not sure how it works. i know in latvia during winter the hunters go on massive driven hunts through the forests with dogs and 30+ hunters, this time of year its solo stalking or sometimes high seats. guns used when i was there were mainly 12 bores with solid slugs, however some carried rifles - the gf's brother used a 7.62 sks rifle to great success on a 23 stone boar. :D

Someone at work said the best boar gun would be a semi-auto 30-06. Its a shame we can't have such things...... :D:D:hmm:

unless you happen to have a girlfriend from latvia, where theyre legal, and you can put it on her brothers licence and leave it there... :good:

unless you happen to have a girlfriend from latvia, where theyre legal, and you can put it on her brothers licence and leave it there... :D

Yes please! And a 30 round banana mag, red dot sight and chromed muzzel break!

something like this? its about 350 euro; can get a 30 round mag for about a tenner, and id advise going for a green laser - after talking to me thats what sergei has clamped on his sks now :D

Babby I think this forum don't know wether to love ya or hate ya :lol: haha!

Go for a 308 mate :) Oh and I hope you have some good work lined up to save the £££ because since leaving school last september the only jobs that anyone who didn't go to uni around my way can get is part time :hmm: Its not a great time to be seaking employment!!

Best of luck though mate :hmm: Do you already have a FAC ? Id go for a 308 :rolleyes: will do a good job on all those you mentioned ;)

Edited by Bigthug87

Babby I think this forum don't know wether to love ya or hate ya :lol: haha!

Go for a 308 mate :D Oh and I hope you have some good work lined up to save the ��� because since leaving school last september the only jobs that anyone who didn't go to uni around my way can get is part time :hmm: Its not a great time to be seaking employment!!

Best of luck though mate :) Do you already have a FAC ? Id go for a 308 :rolleyes: will do a good job on all those you mentioned ;)

Just put in for the FAC, i figure once i have a year's experience with rimmies i will be okay putting in for variations for a 308 as i already have a bit of experience with a .243 and yeah i am not looking forward to the work but i'm sure i will be able to get work on our farm shoveling **** and bedding up all day haha.

George