Pattern plates

Nicky T

Up until a discussion that was had whilst enjoying a round at Worsley yesterday, i was keen on patterning my 525 and a range of different cartridges to see what patterns it was throwing.

In said discussion it was suggested that patterning my gun/cartridge combinations "could" cause me to loose confidence in cartridges that i currently like (and shoot well with) if i see slight holes in the patterns.

Anyone got any thoughts on this subject?

the old pattern plate syndrome. :good::good: use it to see if your gun is pointing where you want it, if it is then look at the patterns it throws. most will have small gaps but each shot will be slightly different to the last. the main thing is you dont get many flyers outside the circle with the given choke.

if your happy with your carts stick with them.(confidence) you can always tighten the chokes to improve density.

When I got my Beretta SPIII it was the first gun I had ever had with multi-chokes, a friend who writes for a shooting mag gave me some Carlsen replacement chokes to try. So I got a part reel of printing paper (it's 2m wide and very, very long), a pallet etc. etc. and set about testing patterns. I had begged, borrowed and bought all sorts of different makes of shells. I found that some of the chokes suited some of the shells and not others. In the end I settled on a set of chokes that worked reasonably well with everything and threw the patterns away. I have not changed chokes in several years. I am still an average shot, it made me no better and no worse. I tend to be amused by those folks who change choke every stand at the clay shooting ground as the guy who normally wins has never altered his from new.

ft

Nicky, hi,

It's always worth patterning your gun. When you find a good cartridge (for your gun), it can boost your confidence. With regard to holes in the pattern, I've tried to find the details but can't. A chap called Gough Thomas did some work on this but this is not included in the only book of his that I have. Suffice to say you can expect a number of holes. Don't quote me, but going down from full to TC you can expect between, say, one to, say, eight 5" dia. holes for an excellent pattern. I expect someone will have the specific details. However, I think this information was mentioned in the current or previous Sporting Gun. I'll keep looking.

Cheers

First thought is...if it ain't broke don't fix it! so if you're happy with what you're doing and the scores are good then maybe leave well alone BUT I think everyone should pattern their gun/s because each gun has it's favourite cartridge and if you're talking multichoke then the equations get even worse. Yes pattern a range of cartridges and chokes and at different ranges then you'll really know what your gun can do.