What do you find is the ideal number of pigeon decoys to use?

Si-Bore

Hey guys

Within reason what do you experienced pigeon shooters find is your ideal number of decoys? I currently use 15 shells and a flapper or magnet and bouncers (if needed to direct/attract the birds). I was wondering whether to get a few more...... :good: I also have 6 full body pigeon but don't bother carrying them anymore due to the space they occupy.

Cheers,

Si

Cheers mate.

I don't think there will be a magic number but often is said "more is better". I have sometimes found that when adding dead birds to the pattern that once I get more than 30 (plus my decoys) out there it can sometimes make the birds unsure of landing spots and they can sail round the outside edge. Despite keeping the pattern well open etc. Has anyone else found this or perhaps this was down to my positioning. Normally I can get the birds right where I want them but I do find that too many can make things harder? :good:

Si

I use 10 to 12 plastics dec's in the summer months 2 mtrs apart, floater and magnet if i feel the need to put them out, I add any real birds to the pattern and withdraw the plastics as the pattern increases with real birds , maintaining the pattern shape or change slightly depending on wind direction if changed or how the birds react.

Winter time when the birds are flocked up I use up to 30 dec's, maximum 1 mtr apart and add real to the pattern as shot, i try in all cases to keep the real decs towards the back of the pattern as its being built up, where the birds are expected to approach, floater and magnet as i feel needed .

Ive shot many times in mid summer starting with 6 plastics , no magnet or floater and had some good shooting and bags.

As always with decoying watch and learn from the birds and set you dec's and hide according to their flightline and do be prepared to move or alter your pattern if the birds flightline changes.

If the birds are just skirting the edge of your pattern then increase the size of the landing zone giving them more room to come in given that everything else seems in order, or create 2 patterns opening up a landing zone between the two within your normal shooting range this will encourage the birds to flight through the open landing zone rather than skirt the outer edge if its one of thoose days they just wanna look but not decoy.

Edited by deny essex

I vary my decoy numbers in accordance with the amount of birds on the fields.

At the moment on peas they are in groups of 2-6 birds, on the clover they are up around 10 birds.

During the winter on rape, I have as many as 50 decoys out plus floater and rotary.

I also have largish layouts at harvest time on cereals and rape.