what ammunition for steyr mannlicher 270

Hi all I have just bought a new steyr mannlicher pro hunter I have put an 8x56 smichmidt & bender scope on it. I took it out to zero it yesterday with 130gr Winchester super x and I could not get it to group at all well. I will eventually be home loading for it but can any one recommend some better rounds to put through it for now. I would like to stick to 130gr any help much appreciated :good:

I shot a .270 for many years and found it to be one of the most accurate rounds i have ever shot . The .270 is an inherently accurate round and you should easily be able to shoot M.O.A. at 100 yards and further . I never found any factory loads that could shoot this accurately and went down the homeloading road using 130 grn bullets . Off the bipod i once shot 14 consecutive v bulls at bisley at 600 yards with home loaded ammo .

I assume you are zeroing at 100 yards ,if so i would want to be using at least 12x magnification and bags as well as a bi-pod . I think that once you get used to the rifle a bit more ,your shooting will improve . Home loading is definately the way to go with the mighty .270 .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

That winchester ammo should work.

Did you buy it brand new?

Shove a couple of boxes of cheap rubbish through it, then clean it and try again.

Hi mungler.

Yes I bought the gun brand new could not get Winchester any were near the mark although they were only the cheap ones. I have now home loaded some 130gr nosler silver tips and they are spot on got a half inch group at 100 yards so now well pleased.

I would be very surprised if you couldnt shoot at least M.O.A. at 100 yards with some good quality home loaded ammo tuned to the mighty .270 . The .270 130 grn bullet is all so very accurate out to 1000 yards and i used to do very well at this range at bisley on the nra targets .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

I think Mannlicher recommend using RWS ammunition.

Greg

I bought one box of RWS for my .308 Mannlicher. Never again! The bolt wouldn't open after every shot. The lugs are at the back on the SSG, perhaps not on the Pro Hunter.

The best factory ammo I found to be Norma, but horrendous expensifold.

The deer park manger that I know always uses Federal.

Edited by rjimmer

The Factory stuff I used in my .270 was Federal vital shock 130grn gamekings. I found them to be a very accurate factory round with awesome stopping power on Fallow deer.

I'm now using combined tech BT's and nosler accubond 130 grainers, cci BR primers, 52grns N160 and norma brass.

They shoot a one hole group at 100yds all day long. :blink:

ATB

Moses