Starting my own Clay Club...

groach1234

Okay well i am looking at starting my own clay pigeon club at school. We will shoot at a proper clay ground. Can anyone give me any help as to problems i may encounter as i will probably have to run it past the head and have solutions to any problems.

Its an odd one i know but any help will be appreciated.

George

I would be looking at noise complaints, shot fallout, insurance, automatic traps, car parking, planning permission, food, car parking, access, economics etc.

If it's an established clay ground this should all be sorted

Sounds like a great thing to do, hope it goes well!

Currently entertaining the idea of a 6th form club next year. :good:

Cheers,

FM :oops:

I will let you know how I get on and a sixth form club in my basic idea. I have run the basic idea of it past my clay ground just in passing and their main requirement was those with out the own SGC will need to be supervised by a member of staff. Thats where it gets tricky because i have my SGC and only no of one or two others that do. We you introduce an instructor it gets more difficult as the weekly price goes up to about £20 per person for a mass lesson and i think this may put the head of the idea as i think it is too much for parents to pay on a weekly basis. So i could just make it a very exclusive club for me and my friends. anyway o shall speak to the clay ground again as i am thinking of taking up skeet as i want to be able to compete in shooting then suppose i will have to book an appointment and run it past the head. Any more help will be appreciated and i shall keep you up to date with how i get on.

George

• 3 weeks later...
I would be looking at noise complaints, shot fallout, insurance, automatic traps, car parking, planning permission, food, car parking, access, economics etc.

he said they will be shooting at a proper clay ground so all this wont be needed as the ground will already have it covered.

technically all ur doing is bringing the people together at ur 'club' as all shooting will be done at the established clay ground ....... u need to speak to the clay ground to see what their policy is on people shooting without a sgc .... also may be an idea if u can get an adult to come to ur meets just for a safety point of view ... this will stand better with the clay ground.

regards to the school ... well u will have to ask permission if u wanna use the school name in the name of the club/team ..... just because of the bad press and stigma around shooting u may find that ur school dont want to be linked to shooting ........ but then again u may be suprised if ur head is sensible and can see that nothing is actually gonna be done at school

also if u link urself to BASC or CPSA ( cpsa will be needed if u wanna enter registered comps etc ) it could show that u are being sensible about it by getting urself insured etc ... also both will give advice if needed ( basc are good at this ... cant speak for the cpsa )