Shooting over rape

stuppers

When in your opinion is the best time to shoot pigeons after the rape has been cut. :oops::yes: should I shoot the field the day after it has been cut. Would pigeons be able to find the food this fast or should I wait a week but then the rape seeds may have all gone :good: i realise that it is crucial to choose the right moment :lol:

I will be shooting my rape stubbles as soon as i can . It dosent take the birds long to find the stubble . They will be on it the day after harvest . If you want them to build up before shooting then by all means leave it for a day or two . Dont forget that the rape seed will self propergate very quickly . If it rains on the stubble take my advice and shoot as soon as possible before it starts its regrowth . It can turn green from new shoots overnight .

Harnser .

last year when i was following the combine and cutting the stuble back with a topper the pigeons were on the field within hours, even while we were still cutting the same field. when we packed up there were hunders on it.

we are spraying off our rape tomorow or the next so will be shooting time soon.

Edited by skinny

last year when i was following the combine and cutting the stuble back with a topper the pigeons were on the field within hours, even while we were still cutting the same field. when we packed up there were hunders on it.

we are spraying off our rape tomorow or the next so will be shooting time soon.

What do you mean by spraying off. i have heard this a few times but no idea what you mean by it. would you care to explain it in a little more detail please

ta

Phil

there is other people on here who can probably tell you more than i can, but its were the crop is sprayed with a selective herbacide (i think) to kill off all the other plants and leave just the rape. once it has been sprayed it usualy takes around 10 days before it can be cut.

As always reconnaissance, reconnaissance, reconnaissance! It may also depend on when the rape is cut i.e. if it's the first field to be cut in the area the birds might well be on it before the combine has left the field but once harvest gets into full gear it might be never as the birds will have plenty of choice.

there is other people on here who can probably tell you more than i can, but its were the crop is sprayed with a selective herbacide (i think) to kill off all the other plants and leave just the rape. once it has been sprayed it usualy takes around 10 days before it can be cut.

The spraying off is to kill the rape and stop it growing anymore .It is then left to dry and ripen for about 10 days and is then harvested with a combine . If the rape is swathe cut it wont be sprayed as the cutting will kill it off . After a few days it will be harvested through a combine .

Harnser .

I normally keep an eye on how many birds are feeding in the standing rape from about a week or two before i expect it to be cut. If there are hundreds on it then, i normally expect a good shoot immediately after it has been harvested, as the birds are well used to coming to the field for a feed. Reconassaince is important, though, as i once went to shoot on a rape stubble on a field known to produce big bags, the day after it had been cut, without keeping an eye on it. The bag was around 12. I returned a week later and shot 102.