Peas please

aubs

Hi just wondered If anyone had got the pea list yet?

Was going to give Jon a phone but I didn't want to hasssle him in case it was on it's way.

Was up near Thirsk the other day and saw a few pigeon on the peas and wouldn't mind having a crack at some before it's too late.

Cheers aubs.

hi aubs

im 25 + miles further north than thirsk not seem to much hope the lists come out soon let me know when you get yours.

i have just joined and john told me to go and have a look at some fields near where i shoot that are on the list (all rape) saw a few pigeons but how do you decoy on rape 3ft high. so waiting for some new lists.

Mike :< :< :< :< :<

Hi I got some info from John this morning but unfortunately no pea list ,It seems most of the farmers have grown beans which apparently pigeons don't bother?:rolleyes:?:thumbs:???

There are still a few fields so I'm going to give john a ring and find out what's happening.

I don't like shooting over rape at this time of year you can't take the dog and you can end up loosing a lot of birds, It's ok if there are plenty of bare patches though but i'd sooner go on the peas.

It looks like we may have to do some door knocking to shoot over peas this time.

cheers,

aubs

Hi aubs what do you mean pigeons dont like beans last year my mate Mr Fixit in suffolk shot 117 in one day on beans then went back the next day and shot another 59 if thats pigeons not liking beans ill eat hay with a donkey.

our northern pigeons must be different than those in the south.:rolleyes:???

see attached

http://img211.echo.cx/my.php?image=rim000584fz.jpg

http://img135.echo.cx/my.php?image=tmp36pa.jpg

Hawkeye, pigeons love beans when they are sown and when they are ready for havesting but while they are green plants and growing, you wont get much, if any shooting over them.

It is just the bean they love and not the leaf or plant.

Beans are no good for pigeons 5-10 days after they are sown until harvest time.When they are sown thats the right time for big bags!What you want in May /June is peas as pigeons love the growing plants and fresh shoots.Last may I had 3 bags of over 100 pigeons all on peas.What John is saying is that there is not much peas about this year in the areas that we shoot.Thats very unfortunate and unusual(I think its the first time he is not issuing any spring list...Theres no point to issue a list with bean fields...

I've never done much decoying over beans and I was surprised when reading the letter that the birds aren't bothered over them, but I think ernyha and doc are right they will feed on them when they are harvested, I'll give john a phone and find out what's going on.

cheers

aubs

Thanks Ernya and Doc for keeping me right about the beans im new at pigeon shooting so have still got a lot to learn Got note from john this morning saying we are limited to just a few spring pea and spring oilseedrape locations in my area.So will have to stick with crow and rabbit bashing until furthur notice.

Mike :< :< :( :( :( :( :lol::rolleyes: :thumbs:

Mike you are more than welcome!Be patient and july is not far...

Wigeon,do you know many people who shoot good bags at present?It looks that there are not many at the moment(although I have had some VERY good bags recently but not on NPPC land).I dont see why it should be different with NPPC land...Its good that you read this section as you will find out soon about how good we,members,are going to do in July/August.Feel free to keep in touch and you may well regret it you havent joined.My annual fee of £90 is the best regular bargain i am getting relating to shooting...

PS:Last year in may,when there was loads of peas about,I shot OVER 500 pigeons ALL on NPPC land...

BARGAIN...BARGAIN

I must agree with you there doc even though I haven't shot much this year over NPPC land but I haven't been out that much and on the whole it's been a bit **** everywhere.

How do you value your shooting :rolleyes:?

One day on the partridge-------£200/£300 per day.

10 days on the pigeon----------£95.00@£9.50 per day.

I know what I'd rather have.

It's good value even if you sit in the hedge bottom and shoot nothing.

I'll be joining again this year and hopefully next year it will be well worth the money.

You've got to take the rough with the smooth that's what I think

Cheers

Aubs

Hi guys!Yes.July is the time when harvest of oilseed rape will start!That will be good fun!By that time they will definitely be out of the woods!They often prefer fields that they have been hammering in winter.Rape seeds are high on protein and pigeons are addicted to them.keep an eye on the fields that will be done first as less choice for the pigeons means better opportunity for us!And then Aubs you will be sitting by the hedge but you will be busy...We may arrange a day to go shooting together.Big fields need often more than 1 gun...

Nice one wigeon I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Seems like a good idea doc to get a day together, always good to get a few guns banging away to keep them on the move.If we can catch an area with a few birds about and only a couple of rape fields harvested with a gun in each field we should be laughing.

SOUNDS EASY DON'T IT :rolleyes: :thumbs: :(

We will keep in touch.Big fields often shoot better with more than 1 guns.Its often frustrating seeing the birds dropping a few hundred yards away on the other side of the field...In Sommer I often go after work as pigeons usually feed late.I have shot with members before with good results.

Aubs keep an eye on the Kirklington fields...

On holiday till august ferretmanabu you must have a good job.

I'm no expert hawkeye although I have been shooting pigeons for a while I'm still learning and my shooting at times is far from good.

I'll keep an eye on the fields down near ferrybridge and up to kirklington and let you guys no about owt going on around there.

There is a couple of big rape fields near baldersby st james that will certainly hold a couple of guns and one or two near hillam that weren't growing to good last time I went over that way,plenty of big bare patches just no birds.

I will keep in touch.

Cheers,

Aubs

Was going for a mooch round today but heard of a bad accident on the radio around ferrybridge A1 so gave it a miss and went on the food hunt instead.......

here i am full of......

smoked duck and raspberry coulis

thai prawns with ginger and mango

olive and stilton pate

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

slow roast lamb shoulder with celairic mash

smoked haddock & spinnach pancakes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

yorkshire blue cheese & bikkies

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

port , brandy, coffee.

FANTASTIC

By the way the three of us had the lot to share with wine and wine and wine and wine and draught wheat beer.

Yummy , Yummy fill my big fat Tummy

Cheers

Aubs :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
Definitely agree with the value for money NPPC offers. I've only been a member for 4 or 5 months but I reckon I've already had my membership fee's worth.

Doc, what are we looking forward to in July? Is it the harvest of the oilseed rape?

Not having a 4x4 and only a small hatch back would it still be possible for me to get access to NPPC sites ? I am in staffordshire.