muzzle velocity change in semi auto's .22lr?

im playing about on a ballistics calculator and just wondering. the ammo i use has a muzzle velocity of 1150 fps (as per the manufacturer), but im using a 10/22 semi auto. now this might be a very stupid question (if so i apologise), but would i be right in saying that the muzzle velocity in a bolt action .22lr will be higher than in a semi, due to the fact that some of the power from the round is used to cycle the bolt and feed the next round? this is what i always thought anyway.

so assuming im right, the main question is does anyone have any idea how much the muzzle velocity drops in a semi auto compared to a bolt action? :good:

cheers

The amount of gas tapped off to cycle the action is tiny and would IMO have a negligible effect on MV. I'm sure other variables like barrel length, air temperature etc would have much more effect.

Blunderbuss, the 10/22's action is recoil-activated, rather than a gas-driven piston. I think that also applies to all other .22LR/WMR semi-autos.

I've never seen any figures relating to it, but I too imagine the reduction in MV is negligible.

Blunderbuss, the 10/22's action is recoil-activated, rather than a gas-driven piston. I think that also applies to all other .22LR/WMR semi-autos.

I've never seen any figures relating to it, but I too imagine the reduction in MV is negligible.

sorry should have pointed that out in the original post that it was recoil operated :good:

so general consesus seems to be that it wont be much, maybe 10fps? :yes:

The action on a recoil operated .22 rimfire and on a gas operated shotgun is regulated so that it cannot open untill the gas pressure has reduced conciderably ,other wise you wouldhappen . have high pressure gas coming back into your face , not a very plesant thing to have . Asfar as a difference in M.V. nothing that would be noticable .

Harnser .