Positioning bouncers, and a second Q on deeks in general

John_R

Whereabouts in relation to the deeks should bouncers really be placed? So far I have only tried one bouncer near the downwind end of the pattern, but I am wondering if it should be further back, and am none too sure what to do with more than one.

Also, I have got a mix of shells, full body (flexicoy) and just got some Sillosocks. Is there a best way to mix them up, or is random a good idea?

I believe my bouncer/floaters are supposed to represent birds about to land at the back of the pattern, so I position them "on the wings/either side " at the rear of the pattern facing into the wind.

I have mixed full bodied and shell decoys in my layouts just as they came out of the bag, no particular order or placement.

Thank you, that makes sense. This is my first year in the shotgun sports and the learning curve is still pretty steep!

The crops I have shot over only recently got interesting to pigeons, so I have not yet had that many chances to watch and learn. Most of the time the wind has been from the left, and I have managed to entice birds to come in from the right. Last time the wind veered round to my back, so they were coming at me, and then pulling up to try and clear the hide and the tree I was beneath. I did wonder if I had got things a little bit wrong with the layout, but I was taking them almost like driven birds, often only 15 yards out but fairly high.

As for the deeks, this is laid barley so I was mostly using the shells anyway, simply lying them onto the flattened stems, but the long spike of the Sillosocks would reach down to the ground.

Edited by john_r

Careful john_r, you will have the politically correct after you, it's pest control not sport.

You will probably find the birds will mostly land, flying into the wind, so when you had the wind in your back, I would say you had the ideal situation, even better if you have the sun behind you too, so it does not pick out and glint on the shiny bits about you, like your glasses, if you wear them, or the silver gun stock, spray it mat green or black, or your face and hands, cover them.

Saying that, movement too is probably the first thing they spot, so sit still and move to take the shot only when you are confident the bird is in range, determined by the peg you put out at 50 yards beyond your hide. With experience, you will do away with the peg.

For your next lesson we will explain to you how to build a hide that blends in with your surroundings, so that you can sit away from those trees and further into the field so they land on your decoys. Bear in mind that the shot from your gun has not spread that much at 15yds, so try to shoot them with your decoys positioned in front of you at 25- 30 yds. You will hit more, trust me..

The clay shooters on here will go into the quagmire that is chokes. If you bought a game gun, then your gun needs no barrel modifications and as said earlier, movement must be kept to a minimum, so you can't be doing with changing chokes in your hide, because whichever one you have fitted, it will be the wrong one... Trust me..

Take in the advice you are given from forum names like Cranfield, harnser, highlander, mungler, anser and you wont go far wrong. Check out the top tips page on this site too.

Careful john_r, you will have the politically correct after you, it's pest control not sport.

You will notice the careful use of words I already used.. ie "the shotgun sports" to includes clays and driven days as well as pest control! :rolleyes: I have been shooting in one way or other since I was a boy with an air rifle some decades ago, but only took to shotguns last Autumn.

I have pored over the content of this web site as well as John Batley's book plus a couple of the BASC books, and am happy that so far I have done my homework first rather than filled these pages with inane drivel. However, I do think the only really stupid questions are those you fail to ask.

So far most of the pest control has been taking feral pigeons and corvids as they fly near the barns, plus rabbits out in the fields, but now the crops are turning we are seeing the pigeons and it is time to put the theory into practice.

As for the closeness of the layout, it was fine while the wind was from the left, but when it veered it put the downwind end of the killing zone too near to me, and moving the hide was not possible that day. The shape of the laid area, plus the layout of trees and such dictated where I could set up. Hard to explain succinctly but I think you will know what I mean.

Whereabouts in relation to the deeks should bouncers really be placed? So far I have only tried one bouncer near the downwind end of the pattern, but I am wondering if it should be further back, and am none too sure what to do with more than one.

Also, I have got a mix of shells, full body (flexicoy) and just got some Sillosocks. Is there a best way to mix them up, or is random a good idea?

I personally wouldnt mix shells and Sillosocks on the same field- Sillosocks have a UV coating makes them appear so different to plastic deeks

Just my opinion :good:

Les :P

I've used as many as six floaters at a time. Usually in groups with 3 or 4 yds between them and each group way down wind

on what I think will be the line the birds will come in on. This effectively 'shows the way in'. I would probably use fewer and only one group

if the wind was from left or right and then they would be placed out in line with the farthest end of the pattern.

It is possible to use just floaters over laid crops and just leave the shells etc in the kit bag. A magnet can work well in this situation in combination

with the floaters. I will position it so that it is lop-sided so that one bird after the other appears over the crop.

In general, unless the patch of laid crop is huge its better to use very few decoys as it is easy to overcrowd the patch and not give incoming birds anywhere to land.

If it is at all possible the best position in the field is between two trees with the wind hitting your back. You will get easier shots which means more kills

and a happier farmer.

GH