how do i set up dead birds?

keeper sam

Hi guys ive just strated decoying properly and i was told that adding dead birds to the pattern helps bring more birds in, and was just wondering how i was to do it? ive been told to use cheap wooden kebab sticks which didn't work as well as i hoped. is there any other way which works well?

Thanks,

Sam.

is there another way then?

Hey mate, I wouldn't bother with the wings simply push the sharp end of the kebab stick into the pigeons head just behind the beak from underneath untill it is lodged inside and poke the other end of the stick into the ground proping the head up don't have to many birds with the head up though as this can alarm new birds coming into the pattern, Also take some of the decoys in as you but fresh shot birds out so as not to croud the pattern. If you want to do something with a dead bird with its wings out make or buy a floater.

Kind regards Tis

Ohhhh ok thanks very much. how many dead birds would you add to the excisting pattern?

i'll give all these suggestions a bash tomorrow over cut barly so thanks.

Sam.

Any other suggestions will be much appreciated thanks.

you dont realy need anything to spred the wings just open the wings and lay them on the the ground that will show the wing bars up and the ground will stop the wings coming back as for how many to start off i would use about 15 - 20 dead birds

you dont realy need anything to spred the wings just open the wings and lay them on the the ground that will show the wing bars up and the ground will stop the wings coming back as for how many to start off i would use about 15 - 20 dead birds

:good: i would get your self a floater because movement is always a good thing to have

Edited by samw

i would say set as many deeks as you can get, even if you start with just 2 as you kill a few more just set them out, dont run out each time you shoot 1 wait until you have a few, i still tidy round and set dead birds out and turn over belly up birds even when ive got 50 or more, just always make sure there is a big opening in the pattern for them to pitch into

mikee

The best way i find is if you have any woods on your permissions go prepared with a saw or a knife and look around for hazel sticks . When you found some there will be off shot stems they look like y;s and cut off about an inch off the two top branches ( this is where you stick the head ) and below keep about five inches and put a point on this end to stick into the ground . they look like home made catapults but hey apart from the time it takes to get them and do them its only your time so as its not costing you anything . I have twenty in my holdall ready to exchange over with my deeks and they dont fall over in gales

hope this helps .................pmiddy

hi sam it would work with the steel rods ( how thick is it ) why im asking as with the ground is drying out and with the wire it might bend when you put pressure on it as with the hazels i dont seem to have a problem sometimes you might blunten the point but thats when the knife comes in handy

cheers..................pmiddy

Hey mate, I wouldn't bother with the wings simply push the sharp end of the kebab stick into the pigeons head just behind the beak from underneath untill it is lodged inside and poke the other end of the stick into the ground proping the head up don't have to many birds with the head up though as this can alarm new birds coming into the pattern, Also take some of the decoys in as you but fresh shot birds out so as not to croud the pattern. If you want to do something with a dead bird with its wings out make or buy a floater.

Kind regards Tis

Kebab sticks are a good option for stubble if set up as described above. The Bar-B-Q summer has not arrived and many of the large stores are selling off the kebab sticks cheaply. I bought a packet last Autumn and still have lots. These were Tala bamboo skewers from Texas Homebase or B&Q. The skewers are 24cm/9" long and are light in weight, taking up little room in your kitbag. In standing crops the skewers are useless, being too short. Wire cradles will raise the dead birds to where incomers can see them but sometimes need to be extended to ensure this. Another option is to use fibreglass rods around 3'0" long which you can insert into the dead bird at the vent pushing it through the body and into the skull cavity. Push the free end into the ground and let the wings hang. Always set the decoys 'head into the wind' but not in a regimented way ie. some at an angle and at different spacings between, to give a more natural look. There is general agreement that some movement in the pattern is beneficial. This can be achieved by using some of the mechanical or electrical devices which are available. A good selection is offered by the site sponser although the pigeon floater offered by Greenhunter on this forum is hard to beat. Hope this helps. Good Luck, Rob. :good:

• 2 months later...

try about 5 or 6 dead birds . one at the front with wings spread around tip's almost touching put the other's in a line going away from the angel at the front one or 2 with a simple 2 foot rod straight through the bird and the broken wings hanging .. you'll be suprised ...i found this work's 8 out of 10 time's with only 5 or 6 dead bird's

I just use twigs from the hedgerow. Push the thin end into the gullet and the thick end into the ground. I have the majority of the birds head-down (pecking). They are set out in a 'U' shape and grow it to a 'W' as dead birds are added. I only have 6-10 to start with usually.

I always make sure that the two back ones are heads up so they look like sentries.

My shells are getting a bit shiny now so birds I have shot previously get breasted out and the carcass placed in the freezer. These are used to start off on the next trip out.