crayfish traps

You can buy them for a few quid. I'm going to the Game Fair at Bowood house tomorrow and I'll pick one up there and send you dimensions if you like. You know you're sposed to get a licence to catch crayfish? the environment agency website has the info, from what I understand yo are sposed to get a permit for the day you want to set your trap... check it out.

The licence is free from the Enviroment Agency, they will tell you if you can trap in your area. If there are any native crayfish in your area then you won't get a licence.

Most rivers have crayfish, in the river that I trap you can see them in the shallow parts.

Bait can be pretty much anything. I used mackerel in mine, which attracted a pike which died and the crayfish devoured it. Nothing to fresh is the idea. Roadkill also works as will any rabbits that you have shot.

They are Yummy!! good luck. the more signal crayfish caught the better, like the grey squirrel they are an introduced species that has brought disease to our native species. Luckily (like the grey) they taste lovely! particularly grilled with a garlic and herb butter!! :hmm:

Dont think its really viable to make traps when they are so cheap on the bay.Get yourself 3 metal ones and pop down to your local fishmonger with a load of small plastic bags.Ask them for the heads/guts of any fish they sell and ask if they can freeze them so you can call whenever is convenient.You need about 5-8 metres of decent nylon rope to tie to the traps and something stout to attach the rope to the bank.Go to the water as late as possible to prevent people nicking your traps and visit them reasonably early the next day to achieve the same.The bait can be popped in the trap frozen where the scent as it defrosts will bring the things scurrying in to feed.Take a bucket with you to collect them and keep your fingers away!-once home i change the water to fresh and leave the crays to purge overnight.I know about 30 people who fish for crays all summer but i have yet to meet anyone who has a licence-make sure you have permmision from whoever has the fishing rights.I think that ,while free, the licence involves so much messing around that few people bother.As for not knowing if you have any locally im guessing that you have plenty-they live in anything from rivers to tiny streams and ponds.You could always ring the secretary of the fishing club and ask if they are plagued by the little ******* and if so would they object to you trapping them (most will not give you official permision but will just "look the other way" if they see you.) :hmm:

There used to be a very good section on the environment agency site, but it appears to have gone. However I did find this which suggests that you don't need a licence to fish for them, only if you trap them.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...hing/38049.aspx

However Crayfish trapping advice packs are available from the National Fisheries Laboratory 01480 483968. I have one and they are very good.

Edited by 2nd Barrel

You are right, and fishing for them can be done with a chicken drumstick on a length of string, or perhaps any other handy tethered tasty morsel that you can conjure up.

The Signal crays behave like crabs on a handline, and often hang onto the bait while being dragged in, though it does pay to do so gently.