NoB's - Is it worth joining

I've been wondering whether or not it's worth joining NOBs, I've been trying to get some beating experience locally or just generally helping out as the wife is out most weekends horse riding and I've packed in my fishing for shooting, upshot is I have a bit of time on my hands and would rather be doing something useful with it, plus beating I may get to meet some like minded folk who enjoy the same things as I do.

I joined PUBs, but to be honest most of the beating seems to be oop north or midlands based, getting anything round here is as rare as hens teeth. I figure NOBs would be the same, and I'd rather know in advance before spending more cash on more dead ends.

In all honesty I never thought it would be that hard to find a shoot to help out on, what do I need? Is there a secret handshake I need to know about?

Cheers,

Mick.

Edited by mick miller

Try your local Gunshop, they should know where the local syndicates and commercial game shoots are.

The important word being "local".

If you are really desperate any organisation would probably be worth joining. :good:

This thread must not deteriorate into a NoBS-v-PuBS debate, or it will be closed.

Thanks for your advice Cranfield, I don't want a NOBs vs PUBs debate either, just a pointer to whether they have anything in my area. I've asked at my local shop and tried ringing the individual I was told to contact, but with no success (either I get an answerphone, or they say to ring back, then when I ring back I get the answerphone - a simple 'no thanks' would seem to me to be much a much simpler response).

No secret handshake then? It certainly seems like you have to know someone in the know, but to know someone you need to be in the know...

If it helps i had the NOBs newsletter yesterday and they are looking for beaters in the following areas

North Dorset

Tetbury

Torpoint

Wells

Radstock

Oxted

Basingstoke

But you have to be a member, not sure what PUBs have at present, as i have not been on the web site

Hope this helps some how

If it helps i had the NOBs newsletter yesterday and they are looking for beaters in the following areas

North Dorset

Tetbury

Torpoint

Wells

Radstock

Oxted

Basingstoke

But you have to be a member, not sure what PUBs have at present, as i have not been on the web site

Hope this helps some how

Darn Radstock is just down the road from me as well.

NOBS or PuBS doesnt matter so long as people get out there with us.

I got extra picking up from PuBS but you have to persevere and keep looking at their forum as new vacancies will be posted as the season progresses and some of a shoots regular team fall ill or change shifts etc.

Dont know how NOBS works as I wont pay a fiver Im too tite.

Once you initially get on one shoot then more opportunities will develop when people get to know you and recomend you to other shoots.

On many of the shoots I go some of us beat or pick up on two or more local ones too, nice to see familiar faces sometimes!

Good luck mate

Hello all, thanks for your words of advice and help. Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been up in Cambs for the game fair (managed to get a nice game bag with a removable inner that I've been after and a whopping great buffalo horn for my stick making and knife scales - only £3.50!).

Kenny, I'll be dropping you a PM!

• 2 weeks later...