Rimfire Problem

I have a Remington 597 .22lr Semi Auto. I had some problems with it recently whereby it would not reliably cycle Winchester subsonics. I put this down to the angular, chunky head on these rounds, applying undue upward pressure on the bottom of the bolt. I tried some Eley subs and CCI subs which cycled flawlessly! I could not believe how accurate the eley were (sub half inch at best @ 50 yds) if i did my part, The CCI were not far behind.

post-9562-1253022575.jpg

Having same problem myself today.........................Ive got a cz452 and been using the eleys without issue.

Had to switch to winnys today as no eleys left........

They group great, but been having problems "ejecting" the rounds, the bolt just doesnt seem to eject them occasionaly, leaving a spent case in the chamber.................

Anyone else having a similar prob..............

The winnys were GREAT.........would like to stick with them.....but not 100 percent...

Most .22 rimfire self loaders are ammo sensitive . Find a brand that works and stick with it ,if not get a bolt action ,they will fire anything .

Harnser .

I completely agree. I would never have bought my S/A if I knew how good my bolt action was going to be!

Either do a 1for1 and get a bolt action or go and buy £50 worth of different ammo and find what your rifle likes

In my experience 597's will jam all day long if you don't keep the mags spotlessly clean, apparently there is a later mag that fixes this?

I don't have one, as I don't see the point in semi's, but I shoot with someone who does.

As for non ejecting cz452's it is fairly common for them to not eject unfired rounds if the bolt is dirty or the first inch of the barrel needs a clean.

If you do both, you shouldn't have a problem.

My first .22LR was a Ruger 10/22.

I only kept it for two weeks before I did a 1 4 1 and got a bolt action CZ.

I was discussing this with my FEO, and he has since done the same, even though he had spent some real coin on his Ruger. He said he had no confidence in the accuracy of the Ruger and he to had replaced it with a bolt action.

I do find Winnies don't always eject, but this is normally down to me not cycling the bolt properly.

I don't like the smell of the Eleys when fired, sort of sweet almost like furniture polish (it's the wax), but next time I go for ammo, it will be Eleys, as I find they are more accurate than Winnies, and about the same accuracy as RWS, but a little cheaper.

What works and what doesn't seems to be rifle/ammo specific.

A few people say Eley's are more accurate than Winchesters in their CZ but in mine Winchesters work fine and hit nice and hard too.

I don't paper punch unless I have to, so when I moved my scope a few weeks ago and I had it all zeroed again I shot a couple of 'test' groups.

group2.jpg

group.jpg

Good enough for rabbits.