Garlic powder

sbald

It's a traditional thing and I know an old boy with a couple of field spaniels who swears by it (and apparently he's dad's dogs were fed it too) - no noticeable odour. Like everything though it won't agree with all dogs.

I've only ever used it as an ingredient, in the natural form - not powdered, for liver cake with my boy.

Other than convenience I see no reason for it needing to be powdered.

ATB

Raja

I had to put a dog down with mange so severe the dog was eating it's own flesh. It had been treated with garlic and homoeopathy.

Don't be a cheapskate - use the proper Frontline. It does work!

sarcoptic mange is different to the conventional dog flea or the demec mite. i use garlic as an additive and never had a problem with fleas or the likewise.

QUOTE (ROBLATCH @ Sep 26 2009, 05:08 PM) *

sarcoptic mange is different to the conventional dog flea or the demec mite.

Deomodex? I know that. I've been to vet college and everything.....

QUOTE (ROBLATCH @ Sep 26 2009, 05:08 PM) *

i use garlic as an additive and never had a problem with fleas or the likewise.

That's lovely. Nowt to do with the garlic

Spoilsport - I'ts great when they try bob martins flea repellant drops etc - we get to flog them proper stuff, plus spray for the house, plus a consultation and a steroid cos they've got FAD!!!

Jim :good:

Deomodex? I know that. I've been to vet college and everything.....

That's lovely. Nowt to do with the garlic

ok then you know everything mr vet show scentific proof that garlic is poisonous to dogs !

if this is so i have super natural dogs.

not many months ago i was advised by a vet ( for 40 odd years ) to add a little garlic powder to my dogs food for a minor skin infection hes still here as are all my other dogs.

is there an explanation for that ?also is there an explanation why most vets in my area sell garlic and fenugreek powder for DOGS ?garlic seems prety safe to me.

Edited by ROBLATCH

Spoilsport - I'ts great when they try bob martins flea repellant drops etc - we get to flog them proper stuff, plus spray for the house, plus a consultation and a steroid cos they've got FAD!!!

Jim :good:

and a £100 bill to go with it :good:

Dogs develop hemolytic anemia if they eat enough onions. I don't think that it matters too much whether the onions are cooked or not. The quantity of onions required is high enough that dogs can generally tolerate small doses of onions without any problem and moderate amounts of onion without clinically apparent disease, even though there may be measurable changes on lab test results. Cats are probably a little more sensitive to onion toxicity than dogs are. I can't find an exact quantity of onions required to cause toxicity problems in dogs, but there are several case reports of onion toxicity and they involve whole onions or sizable portions of chopped onions (like a cup or more). I think that feeding dogs meat that has been cooked with onions is pretty safe but you might want to avoid giving them the broth from around something like pot-roast if there were a lot of onions used in the cooking, just to be safe.

Large amounts of garlic will produce similar toxicity problems in both dogs and cats. I think that the amount required is not likely to be eaten by a cat but there are probably a few dogs who would lap up a container of spilled garlic.

who is going to give a dog a full bowl ?

we are talking a sprinkle of garlic on their food.

Edited by ROBLATCH

ok then you know everything mr vet show scentific proof that garlic is poisonous to dogs !

if this is so i have super natural dogs.

not many months ago i was advised by a vet ( for 40 odd years ) to add a little garlic powder to my dogs food for a minor skin infection hes still here as are all my other dogs.

is there an explanation for that ?also is there an explanation why most vets in my area sell garlic and fenugreek powder for DOGS ?garlic seems prety safe to me.

my brother spent a fair few years working for one of the larger drug manufacturers supplying to vets they did a piece of research that suggested about 70% of animals requiring routine treatment would get better if left alone, so that may suggest your skin infection issue.

I'm yet to meet a vet who would recommend homeopathic treatments as they're un proven however most will say they won't do any harm as long as if the symptoms get worse you treat with something proper.

My dog is on stronghold which apparently according to the same rep works better than frontline and fortunately i get it at cost so its not too bad cost wise and never have a flea problem

The advantage of the Stronghold over the Frontline is it's ability to kill ear mites and fox mange (sarcoptic mange). Stronghold needs applying every months - Frontline will do up to 2 months (but need using monthly if your dog is allergic to fleas).

I never said garlic was harmful - only that it's useless :good: