Golden rules

Evening all,

it's no suprise it's all new. I've been Reading the threads for some time now whilst gathering the kit and the supposed knowledge. I've two permissions. Friends of friends. Some air rifle shooting and some pigeon. I'm also thinking of joining the nppc.

So my questions is .......

What's the golden advice.

If you don't get chance to recky a field, flight lines etc.

What advice would you offer.

I've read: if possible, wind at your back. Decoys pointing into the wind. I've hide kit and 12 shell decoys, magnet, Bouncers and other bits and pieces. Bought gratefully from a pigeon watch member.

I'm currently clay shooting to ensure any pigeons are dealt with humainly. That I'm up to the task.

Magnets sound like they do there job, but can also hinder at times.

Any advice appreciated. We all have to start somewhere!

I've searched the web for info. But it all leads back to here!

When you get to know the ground you shoot, you will discover, depending on the crop of course, that there are traditionaly successful places to set up, that will usually produce a good result, should you be unable to do a recce during the week prior to the day you shoot.

A recce on just one day, ie. the day prior to you shooting over a crop, does not guarantee they will be there when you venture out. Better to observe a crop throughout the week to see where they are mostly going, which will increase your chances of a good bag come the day.

To have a good day, you need to be where the birds are.

Before shooting you should spend some time watching the area you intend to shoot.

If there is no bird activity then you are going to waste your time.

If you don't have the time to reccy your land, then at least speak to the Landowners/Farmers/Farm Workers and ask them where they are seeing the birds.

Don't forget that birds will often favour some crops and some fields at different times of the day and the weather is also a great influence.

Spending time on your land is the only way you will learn this intelligence and my "golden rule" is "if its not working then change it" and thats not just the layout, it also includes where you are shooting, move fields and farms if necessary.

You can't shoot pigeons if there are none there.

If you read ‘Topgunners’ posts on here you’ll see why he/they consistently make good bags of pigeons. Most of their posts mention driving for miles, sometimes 200 miles, in a day in search of good numbers of pigeons. There’s probably no better illustration as to why the most important part (not the only part) of pigeon shooting is in the recce.

At this time of year you are better spending time during the morning and early afternoon looking and watching for pigeons than shooting. Shoot late in the afternoon and evening once you’ve tracked your birds. Take advantage of the long days, the birds do!

I'd try my upmost to recky the area. But some of you guys must at times, try blind.

Wondered how you had got on and what worked.

It's not a problem on the crops I've permission on.

yes i go to nppc areas blind; and some permissions as well but with some knowledge of were the birds will be in both areas for instance if i shoot a shoot permission one week good chance they will be there the next week at certain times like laid crops and winter rape. i go after them in winter driving to 2 3 even 4 different areas in the same day looking for them and most times find them.also if i shoot birds or just see them on a rape field in winter i go back in summer to same fields and normally get a bag also you get to know the location of wheat and barley fields in nppc areas because these were rape the year or couple of years ago so increase your chances but most important you need to put the miles in first to get that knowledge.hope that helps :good:

hi andy im new to this forum and posting etc but not pigeon shooting what i do when i turn up at the field is have a fag and watch to see where the birds are going as this changers from day to day as conditions changes there is no hard rules some times you just have to set up and hope best of luck mate :)