Muntjac bait

Thedeerman

as said just have a walk round at first or last light and you will pick pne up, as for lamping them its terribly bad form :no:

though while out foxing the other night we were walking round a wood and got between a fallow buck and where he wanted to go and the noise of rutting behind us was awesome. He just walked straight at the lamp and shook his rack a bit till he got to 20 yards at which point my mate said I hope that ******* guns loaded :lol: I wouldn't have shot it as it only needed a slight noise to put it off but it was a cracking experience,

Bad form? I thought it was illegal unless 1 hour rule applies?!?

Indeed,

On the issue of not seeing them you need to get out at first light or as the cover dies back try stalking them in woodland its all about stealth and observation they are very easy to miss

If you are out early/late look in the usual places along the side of woods etc. they drift back into the woods during the day.

If they are on the ground have for slots they will give the best indication of where you can ambush them.

Unlike roe they are constantly on the move, so even if you haven't seen any staying put for a little while may bring a change in fortune.

[sorry about the lamping comment, just a bit of harmless mischief]

get near a open area youve seen them near cover strips, feeders etc ive had them come have a look while using roe caller not every time but certainly more then once been bucks both times

i find stalking them in woodland very frustrating if theres braken or similar height cover forget about it, first you know of them is watching them scuttle from you feet

I have tried various licks etc in the past but as said pheasant feeders are by far the best attraction. They like to stay in cover and a good plan is a highseat in a clearing. Just stating the obvious as above, lamping deer is illigal unless you have require NE license to do so and you will need deer stated on your license.

Thanks for all the replies. I've been told they are also very fond of apples? Anyone any experience of this?

It looks like they have been munching on the maize too. I'll have to move some feeders out into the open.

favour crab apples, maybe different area to area id just go out and watch them for a few weeks will be time well spent untill you get deer/ammo on you ticket