Chestnut & Oak Trees

steve_b_wales

Nice one Steve.

At what stage do you plant out the oak saplings from the pots into the ground and what time of year? I have an oak sapling that I found sprouting up in the flower bed in our back garden a few weeks ago. I've transferred it into a pot and it's doing well, but not sure when to plant it out proper to give it best chance of survival.

Nice one Steve.

At what stage do you plant out the oak saplings from the pots into the ground and what time of year? I have an oak sapling that I found sprouting up in the flower bed in our back garden a few weeks ago. I've transferred it into a pot and it's doing well, but not sure when to plant it out proper to give it best chance of survival.

I don't actually plant them into the ground myself. I do however, move the saplings to bigger pots, once they start growing. As you can see in the photo's. there are a few oak saplings in one pot. Another 6-7 months, and I'll seperate them. As for planting into the ground, I was told that the best time is just after winter, although I'm not too sure about that. I don't know when the ones that I handed out to farmers/landowners were planted into the ground, although I've been told that they have taken root and hopefully will grow.

As for the one that you found sprouting, I would leave it in the pot for at least another year, until it gets 'pot bound' then either put it into a bigger pot, or plant it into the ground. Not all trees that are re planted, grow, but if only 1 in 4 grows, it will be worth the effort.

Steve.

Great work Steve. Have you any pictures of the early ones you raised/planted out? They must be quite a size by now.

No sorry, I wish I did have some. To be honest, I don't even even know where most of them went, apart from them being on private land. The trees were given to a farmer friend of mine, who then passed them on to people he knew. I'll ask him one day, and see if I can get to take some photo's of them.

Oak & Chestnut trees, like others, take many years to grow, and I would'nt be surprised if they were only 3-4ft tall, depending on the growing/ground conditions.

I don't actually plant them into the ground myself. I do however, move the saplings to bigger pots, once they start growing. As you can see in the photo's. there are a few oak saplings in one pot. Another 6-7 months, and I'll seperate them. As for planting into the ground, I was told that the best time is just after winter, although I'm not too sure about that. I don't know when the ones that I handed out to farmers/landowners were planted into the ground, although I've been told that they have taken root and hopefully will grow.

As for the one that you found sprouting, I would leave it in the pot for at least another year, until it gets 'pot bound' then either put it into a bigger pot, or plant it into the ground. Not all trees that are re planted, grow, but if only 1 in 4 grows, it will be worth the effort.

Steve.

Thanks for your advice Steve, much appreciated :good:

We have a massive Oak at the end of my neighbours garden but in nearly 7 years have only ever spotted a couple oak seedlings, So they don't seem to be very prolific when it comes to self self germination.

Do you literally just push them into a pot of soil ?

With regards your current stock of young trees,

Have you tried your local authority Parks/Gardens dept ? They might have suitable sites where some could be planted and continue to grow, and for you, you'll see them grow and thrive in a continuence of a tradition in memory of your late son.

What about any local Land scapers, maybe they'd have projects ?

We have a massive Oak at the end of my neighbours garden but in nearly 7 years have only ever spotted a couple oak seedlings, So they don't seem to be very prolific when it comes to self self germination.

Do you literally just push them into a pot of soil ?

With regards your current stock of young trees,

Have you tried your local authority Parks/Gardens dept ? They might have suitable sites where some could be planted and continue to grow, and for you, you'll see them grow and thrive in a continuence of a tradition in memory of your late son.

What about any local Land scapers, maybe they'd have projects ?

Acorn that fall around the base of the tree, tend not to germinate that much. Where I work, many 100's of acorns fell, but only around 5% actually showed signs of germinating.

I just push the acorn into the earth at a depth of around 2 inches.

I've asked my local council about taking the trees off me, and you'd swear that I asked them to take a pile of rubbish. I'll check out landscape gardeners, although I'd doubt they would want such big trees. You never know though.

Cracking tree mate, home many shots to kill it! :)

That tree is the most southerly in some woods I used to own, it was the biggest tree for miles and an absolute magnet for pigeons in the afternoon and squirrels catching the morning sun. Every time there was a big storm I used to go up and check it was OK, I still feel strangely protective of it.

I hosted an Arbtalk recreational climb / shoot there a few years ago, which was fun, especially the Olympic Shovel Throwing event. Here's a link: http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/13653-sunday-21st-feb-2010-climb-meet-up-south-east.html

Strangely, some arborists chose to climb the little sycamore instead, but those with big gonads can be seen up the sweet chestnut.

I just need some seeds. If anyone could post me some when they are available, I would appreciate it. :good:

The seeds start to ripen around this time of year. Some up here are already starting to turn brown.

Just be careful with posting them. You don't want them to dry out. Do you not have any wych elm trees near you that you could pick some?

Make sure you get a load and plant them quickly. Also note that some seedlings may come up this summer, but some will not come up until next spring. And protect them from the slugs.

I might be able to post a load of seeds if we sort out how to post them without them drying out.

Edited by Reece

The seeds start to ripen around this time of year. Some up here are already starting to turn brown.

Just be careful with posting them. You don't want them to dry out. Do you not have any wych elm trees near you that you could pick some?

Make sure you get a load and plant them quickly. Also note that some seedlings may come up this summer, but some will not come up until next spring. And protect them from the slugs.

I might be able to post a load of seeds if we sort out how to post them without them drying out.

. Steve,sounds like Reece is your man,I just presumed seeds would be about in the Autumn!

good pictures....something therapeutic about planting seeds & saplings and watching them grow...planted quite a few various ones over the last couple of years , the only one that could get to grow properly was beech and cant figure out why...id give them a good home if you were closer...atb

I could get him a load, once I sort out a way to post them without them drying out. I have some ideas.

What about in damp cotton wool, or sandwiched between damp sheets of kitchen towel either in a plastic bag or a little plastic pot inside a jiffy (plastic lined) bag ?

You can shake the earth off the roots and carefully put the roots into a plastic bag, sealed around the stem with an elastic band. I've bought many trees like this. Make sure you water them beforehand.

May I say, it's a lovely way to remember a Son, very poignant.

Hi Reece. I would welcome any seeds mate. I think if you could put them in damp kitchen roll and then into a jiffy bag, they should survive the journey -around 2-3 days maybe. I would be more than happy to cover postage.

Let me know if, and when they would be sent, even if it's in a few months time.

Regards

Steve.

Hi Reece. I would welcome any seeds mate. I think if you could put them in damp kitchen roll and then into a jiffy bag, they should survive the journey -around 2-3 days maybe. I would be more than happy to cover postage.

Let me know if, and when they would be sent, even if it's in a few months time.

Regards

Steve.

That's what I was thinking. I might get round to it over the weekend.