Gunning punt build

Doriboy

Hi

Wonderful to see it come together from a ugly old duck to a Swan

Work of pure passion 😀😃

Are you going to put a drain bung in the floor ?

Brilliant thread

All the best

Of

Thanks Of

Not not adding a drain bung, I think they're more hassle than they're worth. Just something else to go wrong either letting water into the wood, catching on something and breaking, or (as speedboat owners will be aware) forget to put the bloody thing in and sink just off the slipway!

Keep it simple. Bail, sponge, keep under cover.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't aware that there were any costal clubs that didn't?

I know literally nothing about proper coastal wild fowling clubs and how they operate. Obviously you are always using as much safety and best practice like using any gun, just i assume there are other people out on the marsh when you are out with the punt, so if you didn't see someone crouched tucked in, in the marsh bank...seems an unlikely scenario, but i don't really know how clubs work, what access is like.

Coastal fowling is something i have always wanted to try.

There is a good meander on a stretch of river i get to shoot on occasionally and getting tucked in the reeds while teal widgeon and mallard fall in around you and curlew make their cries and the wing-beats of invisible birds taunt your strained ears in the fading light. When i am fortunate enough to be allowed its my favorite place to be on a cold evening. I imagine coastal fowling is not all that different to that.

At this point work stopped as I couldn't fit the coamings unto the punt was out of the shed-it wouldn't fit through the door- and I didn't have a trailer to put her on.

Thankfully a good friend came up with a galvanised boat trailer, in pretty good order, with decent bearings, tyres and mudguards. So out with the angle grinder and welder.

In a few days I'd knocked up and carpeted some wooden bunks and could finally get her out of the shed.

At this point I also made up the floor and a seat.

5FFEBE10-6E47-459E-B505-CC4F04AB3892_zps

DF4053A6-3CA8-4B8A-8B49-AE91B5AFE7A8_zps

Obviously the punt will be propelled by oar, so I needed some rowlocks. For these I bought a galvanised pair, opting for some with a 1/2" shaft. Then made a quick trip to a local engineering firm for some scrap metal. Happily they had just what I needed, some 1/2" round bar and some tube with an inside diameter the same size.

A6EDFD6C-55FD-48E5-AEA5-642A1235FA41_zps

I ground the galv off the outside of the rowlocks where I was going to weld it and inserted the bar and rowlock into the tube so they met up, leaving enough bar to sit nicely in the rowlock sockets, and added washers to act as a stop.

C729F4C8-74ED-4356-9CDC-CF9B7FA40B80_zps

Then welded everything up

61CAA623-9D9F-4BD7-B936-0520227BFADD_zps

And gave it a trial fit

B66404D7-EC7C-4ACD-B546-C65455450C76_zps