Gunning punt build

Doriboy

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent thread from start to finish , having had gun punts in the past , I was interested in the length of your rowlocks and the reason you didn't use blocks with the normal size rowlocks saving having to weld any extra rod on and spreading the leverage over a slightly bigger area . I am sure your got a very good reason .

Thanks for sharing Doriboy , one of the most interesting ones we have had for a while :good:

Excellent thread from start to finish , having had gun punts in the past , I was interested in the length of your rowlocks and the reason you didn't use blocks with the normal size rowlocks saving having to weld any extra rod on and spreading the leverage over a slightly bigger area . I am sure your got a very good reason .

Thanks for sharing Doriboy , one of the most interesting ones we have had for a while :good:

Hi marsh man, I forgot to write earlier on in the thread that once I had cut out the cockpit I added some hardwood blocks between the coamings and gunwales (there is a photo further up that shows them) which the rowlock sockets sit in. You'd need a hell of a force to break them!

The reason I made them like this is I wanted the profile of the boat to be as clean as possible, I really don't like seeing lumps and bumps everywhere, and this is how people make them in my area.

Funnily enough they were the only thing I changed after the first sea test as I realised I'd made them about 3-4" too long. I shortened them a bit and they're much better.

This is how they look now.

6D89BA17-7802-43AB-AE28-930F3B333768_zps

She behaved perfectly in the water, far better in fact than I thought she might. She is surprisingly fast when being rowed and easy to manoeuvre when being paddled from the rear seat.

There was a very strong wind on the day of the first test with the wind against the tide, creating quite a chop when I got her out in the main part of the harbour. I have to say she took on no water at all, even with two heavy sand bags on the foredeck. The only thing that wasn't quite right (as mentioned above) was the length of the rowlocks, which have since been shortened slightly.

I even managed to stalk within easy shooting distance of large numbers of wigeon and teal, in high wind, with a makeshift hand paddle, on her maiden voyage!

This is how they look now.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=cdc481ca166481e3276b9dd5ee9f9fb5&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=306226&p=2769508&md5check=c18dffd3721436ceee47a4f3d5852ccf&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,jo18wzC_6SI'); //]]></script>6D89BA17-7802-43AB-AE28-930F3B333768_zps&&0

Excellent job you done there Doriboy and a valid reason not to have blocks . Two more questions if you don't mind me asking .

What is the overall length ?

And will you be using a pole or is the depth of water you will be working in to deep. Thanks a lot and glad he or she passed its sea trials .

P S .... Make that three.........Will your punt be having a name , and if so what will it be :good:

Hi

Brilliant to see it afloat you've done a grand job I just love to see the variation of design and fitting out from area to area 😃

I guess it was because they were used for other jobs as well

Reed cutting ell netting ect

Now you've had it afloat do you think it makes that much difference in design from the area it was built for to the area your going to use it it

Just curios

Brilliant thread from start to finish

Well done

All the best

Of

Thanks marsh man, she's a little over 14' and will take a man of up to 6' and a gun of up to 7'

She could be poled, but I just thought it was another complication that wasn't really necessary, I think most singles are hand paddled.

Her name is unicorn. A running joke with my friends about pintail being as real as unicorns!

Well Done Jack , you've done a top job .she sits well in the water ..

WW

Thanks very much nice of you to say so. :)

Hi

Brilliant to see it afloat you've done a grand job I just love to see the variation of design and fitting out from area to area 😃

I guess it was because they were used for other jobs as well

Reed cutting ell netting ect

Now you've had it afloat do you think it makes that much difference in design from the area it was built for to the area your going to use it it

Just curios

Brilliant thread from start to finish

Well done

All the best

Of

Thanks again OF. Interesting one the 'local fitting' I imagine if it was still on the south coast it would have outriggers, a bow band and ring for breeching, and some complicated elevating gear lol.

When I first laid eyes on her I was very sceptical about if she could handle any sea or open water, thinking she'd only be good for the marsh creeks, and although that is of course where she's in her element, I have no worries at all about moderate waves, wind or open water, she has proved to be a pretty seaworthy craft!

enjoyed this thread. Who'd have thought a barber who can weld and do a mean line in chippying too ............ Always liked the RX7s but think I'd have kept it standard tbh

I'm a farmer's son. Fix anything with a welder and bailer twine!

A truly superb rebuild, or new build,which ever description takes your fancy.

I punt with the chap from whom this original punt was obtained and I thought that you might be interested in it`s history.

The punt was originaly built in Lincolnshire where it was intended to be used as a sneak boat or with a small gun on the inland washes.

It was brought to the south coast for restoration and subsequent use by a third party who never got around to doing it before it was bought from it`s most recent owner who also intended to do it up but was diverted by the rebuilding of a 24 double handed punt.

It`s never actually been used on the south coast and it is`nt an example of what might otherwise be described as a South Coast style punt.

Have you thought about fitting a sculling crutch, a method of propulsion that gives real power if needed when encountering deeper water. Much more effective than hand paddles.

You should have some real fun with your outfit next season. Now the learning really begins!

Having spoken to a previous owner,beyond a certain point it all gets a bit vague but it may have been another fifteen years old on top of that,putting it at about 30 years old all told.

Terrible what neglect can do to a plywood punt. We`ve got a ply punt thats almost thirty years old but has been well looked after and it looks almost new.

Our recently restored 24 footer is of wooden construction and, although the ply deck, itself a replacement, had rotted, the sides and bottom, made of larch, were still as sound as a bell and it was built in 1946.

Having spoken to a previous owner,beyond a certain point it all gets a bit vague but it may have been another fifteen years old on top of that,putting it at about 30 years old all told.

Terrible what neglect can do to a plywood punt. We`ve got a ply punt thats almost thirty years old but has been well looked after and it looks almost new.

Our recently restored 24 footer is of wooden construction and, although the ply deck, itself a replacement, had rotted, the sides and bottom, made of larch, were still as sound as a bell and it was built in 1946.

24 foot is a big craft " mudpatten " , the only one I saw that length was at the Fenland fair and the chap was telling me he work it out in the wash which is like being at sea in one, and with very little shelter out there you can understand why it is that size . .

I see you come from Portsmouth so do you go out to sea in your one ?

The boat you restored done well having been built in 1946 , a chap I know is now restoring a wooden construction Breydon punt built in the 60s , and apart from the odd board on the deck the rest is in very good condition , so with a little T L C there got quite a long life span .

24 foot is a big craft " mudpatten " , the only one I saw that length was at the Fenland fair and the chap was telling me he work it out in the wash which is like being at sea in one, and with very little shelter out there you can understand why it is that size . .

I see you come from Portsmouth so do you go out to sea in your one ?

The boat you restored done well having been built in 1946 , a chap I know is now restoring a wooden construction Breydon punt built in the 60s , and apart from the odd board on the deck the rest is in very good condition , so with a little T L C there got quite a long life span .

I dare say i know who's punt you are refering to, having seen it at the show and up close myself. I have the rough plans for a 24 foot punt here but i doubt anything will come of it for a few years

Thanks to everybody for all your positive comments. Despite my occasional moaning about how long certain jobs took and how much of a pain in the **** it was, I really did enjoy the build, I found it hugely satisfying, and have had great fun afloat in her since. I have found her to be fast in the water, very buoyant, easy to handle, and surprisingly capable when things get a little choppy.

Now the time has come to say goodbye and get cracking with my other projects, so this punt is now for sale. If you're interested in buying it, send me a PM.

All the best