Canada geese & young

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no need to shoot anything, targets only these days.

best not be judging others by your own standards or opinions.

World of difference's between sport shooting and pest control.

I also wonder how many of the lofty ones like a succulent lamb dinner or a piece of veal!

I also wonder how many of the lofty ones like a succulent lamb dinner or a piece of veal.

I love lamb, and most other meats never tried veal. As soon as I am unable to go to the local butchers or Tesco and get some , I will be out shooting it. I don't know anyone that has to shoot do eat, do you. ? As for pest control, if I need to control pests that are pestering me I will take necessary action, if they are annoying someone else that's their problem.

Edited by ordnance

While this may be legal to do I think it's ethically very bad to kill breeding pairs and young of any species.

It can only get our sport a bad name if it gets wider publicity.

I would not do it and explain my stance to the landowner.

Your 'sport' already has a bad name I'm afraid. The OP is talking about pest control. The two are totally different. Pest control is shooting for necessity whereas 'sport' shooting is shooting for leisure

Edited by Scully

I love lamb, and most other meats never tried veal. As soon as I am unable to go to the local butchers or Tesco and get some , I will be out shooting it. I don't know anyone that has to shoot do eat, do you. ? As for pest control, if I need to control pests that are pestering me I will take necessary action, if they are annoying someone else that's their problem

A very blinkered opinion. Without people doing pest control that isn't their problem such as shooting foxes (and cubs), farmers wouldn't produce anywhere near the amount of produce as they do so that you can go to Tesco's etc and buy your ready packaged, conscious free lamb. How many pigeons, rabbits (and their young) and anything else that is someone else's problem are taken under the role of pest control (and sport) to provide the vegetarians with the grains and greens that they self righteously claim to be a better way of eating as it doesn't involve killing animals (not all vegetarians are like this I know). I think some people really need to see the bigger picture, golf isn't my thing but it is a for a huge amount of people so why shouldn't they be allowed to play under the conditions that they think is acceptable. I don't care if I stand in **** or get it on myself/clothing but why should I look down on someone who does.

A very blinkered opinion. Without people doing pest control that isn't their problem such as shooting foxes (and cubs), farmers wouldn't produce anywhere near the amount of produce as they do so that you can go to Tesco's etc and buy your ready packaged, conscious free lamb.

Farming is a business, if they have problems with pests then they need to deal with it or hire someone to do it for them. If someone is shooting pests for a farmer, they are doing it because they enjoy shooting and killing. That's fair enough just say that don't try and come across as all moral and they are doing it for the greater good and so we all don't starve.

I used to shoot vermin for farmers, my view changed and I stopped. Even if people stopped shooting vermin tomorrow I would still be able to go to Tescos and buy my ready packaged, conscious free lamb.

Edited by ordnance

Farming is a business, if they have problems with pests then they need to deal with it or hire someone to do it for them. If someone is shooting pests for a farmer, they are doing it because they enjoy shooting and killing. That's fair enough just say that don't try and come across as all moral and they are doing it for the greater good and so we all don't starve.

I used to shoot vermin for farmers, my view changed and I stooped. Even if people stopped shooting vermin tomorrow I would still be able to go to Tescos and buy my ready packaged, conscious free lamb.

I'm not trying to come across all moral, I kill pests for a living (a business, just as farming is) and yes I do enjoy my shooting. I don't feel the need to justify what I do to anyone as you don't need to justify buying your ready packed meat but you seem to think that because you don't agree with the OP they should be able to justify themselves to your opinion.

I'm not trying to come across all moral, I kill pests for a living (a business, just as farming is) and yes I do enjoy my shooting.

That's fair enough it's your living, you still enjoy doing it. No One has to justify what they do to me, they have only to justify it to themselves. Its just my opinion on the Geese give them a few weeks and they will move somewhere else, if they cain't wait and want to shoot them if it's legal that's up to them.

That's fair enough it's your living, you still enjoy doing it. No One has to justify what they do to me, they have only to justify it to themselves. Its just my opinion on the Geese give them a few weeks and they will move somewhere else, if they cain't wait and want to shoot them if it's legal that's up to them.

:good: