The NFU and compulsory shooting instruction?

Scully

I'm regularly asked to confirm a client has a basic understanding of safe use of a shotgun.

In one recent case he was told he couldn't have a SGC until he'd had some lessons, having met him this became less strange he'd never touched any sort ofshotgun but had fired an AK a few times on holiday.

I'm regularly asked to confirm a client has a basic understanding of safe use of a shotgun.

In one recent case he was told he couldn't have a SGC until he'd had some lessons, having met him this became less strange he'd never touched any sort ofshotgun but had fired an AK a few times on holiday.

This nothing new BASC and CPSA offer basic intro courses that sell what any normal instructor covers but they charge for a certificate and badge.

This nothing new BASC and CPSA offer basic intro courses that sell what any normal instructor covers but they charge for a certificate and badge.

Sorry ,don't quite follow this. You seem to be saying that BASC/CPSA sell courses and also charge for a certificate/badge which if nothing else provides evidence of having done the course should such be required for whatever reason. A normal instructor probably will cover the same ground, but he/she too will also charge (and possibly more)/sell what is on offer without the additional benefit of such evidence - unless, of course, he/she runs their business as a charity and I haven't met one yet who does.

I did a firearms safety course at a range I joined (at not extra cost). I'd been shooting for a few decades but I still learned something...... mostly how to deal with a blackpowder shooter who had a heart attack and how to make his gun safe.

The lawyers for the insurers of land owners and shooters will win this one......... For experienced shooters I not for this but for newbies a basic safety course and pass to a reasonable standard is not a bad idea. It would need to be done locally, at a reasonable time and cost though.

Sorry ,don't quite follow this. You seem to be saying that BASC/CPSA sell courses and also charge for a certificate/badge which if nothing else provides evidence of having done the course should such be required for whatever reason. A normal instructor probably will cover the same ground, but he/she too will also charge (and possibly more)/sell what is on offer without the additional benefit of such evidence - unless, of course, he/she runs their business as a charity and I haven't met one yet who does.

I charge less to give the same info as I don't have to pay for a set of badges and certificate, if the client requires a letter to say what has been done I provide that to their FEO FOC.

I have owned a gun for nearly 4 decades

If I was forced to do a one day course I would if I thought it might mean everyone had a basic amount of instruction

Even though I have done all sorts of shooting accreditations I should still show up

Shooting accidents are tragic because nearly all are easily avoided and it's surprising how many there are that go unreported

I could quite happily dance on the grave of the next guy who tells me he has been shooting since Adam was a lad etc and don't need telling about safety

Loaded guns left balanced on walls. It's OK the safety is on or the cherry ontop shooting using dry stone walls as a rifle backstop with stock and a guy driving a tractor in the field behind

We have seen a few holes in feet on here also from those brave enough to admit thier stupidity

I have my faults we all do but who to teach and who to write the course?

I charge less to give the same info as I don't have to pay for a set of badges and certificate, if the client requires a letter to say what has been done I provide that to their FEO FOC.

Many thanks.

My local stationary shop charges me 10p (which includes his profit) to copy a target on a stiff A4 sheet. I would image a cheap badge bought by the bucketful as the associations would do is about 40p max. However, your post highlights a point I was trying to make elsewhere on this thread. And that is, you, as a businessman, are able to charge less for a course than the associations are apparently now able to do. This is NOT a criticism of them, but I am bemoaning the fact that an apparent change in attitude in the past 25 years means that this is the case.

Many thanks.

My local stationary shop charges me 10p (which includes his profit) to copy a target on a stiff A4 sheet. I would image a cheap badge bought by the bucketful as the associations would do is about 40p max. However, your post highlights a point I was trying to make elsewhere on this thread. And that is, you, as a businessman, are able to charge less for a course than the associations are apparently now able to do. This is NOT a criticism of them, but I am bemoaning the fact that an apparent change in attitude in the past 25 years means that this is the case.

remember a business has to control costs and make a profit. An association does not its gets is money for free and wastes it as it pleases. Sound harsh? its true for all associations, charities and not for profit orgs

remember a business has to control costs and make a profit. An association does not its gets is money for free and wastes it as it pleases. Sound harsh? its true for all associations, charities and not for profit orgs

As this was posted in reply to my post (# 33):

The first point is obviously valid.

The second, I don't understand

and the third is not what I was referring to and I certainly did not say that and have no wish to be associated with it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cookoff013

I had to get a certificate at work, "handling buckets of water that weigh up to and including 5litres"

This is nothing but an attempt to adjust liability and tick some paperwork. Someone has to run the course and by the looks of it, it is not cheap. What next? Reloading classes?

At the end of the day those in control of a firearm are responsible for its use. Regardless of how many competent certificates they have.