3.5.gdi

Fleabag

bought the pajaro home last night with Dave g, kept over heating but seemed OK until i started it cold today, the noise from the gearbox was horrendous its now down the dealer for a report :blink: fingers crossed. Might be head gasket problem.

:blink: good news today cylinder head OK rad OK enough mud on both radiators to mask half a dozen chic faces. like concrete, no wonder it was over heating. so onward we go, strip paint, spray NATO green and rip interior out. chuck running boards away and hard spare wheel cover free if anybody wants them.

Edited by Fleabag

Hmm - found this and a few other threads on the subject.

We checked the oil level and found it was about an inch over the upper dipstick marker - which COULD be that water has got into the oil and settled under the oil in the sump. The oil cap was very clean - possibly too clean in hindsight :stupid:

maybe but might be un related, if it was overheating because of loosing water then odds are its probably gone through the combustion chamber and out the exhaust.

New gasket and head skimming should do the job but make sure the cooling system has no leaks in, but before hand just get it compression tested so you know its a HG fault

maybe but might be un related, if it was overheating because of loosing water then odds are its probably gone through the combustion chamber and out the exhaust.

New gasket and head skimming should do the job but make sure the cooling system has no leaks in, but before hand just get it compression tested so you know its a HG fault

in for test now, no bubbling or water contamination present drove it fine to dealer.

If theres wtaer in the oil, it's usually creamy frothy, but pull the plug from the sump tp be sure. If the head gasket has gone you can usually smell patrol in the wtaer as well - it goes both ways, and youd notice the loss in power - my money reckons a pin hole leak somewhere letting out pressure when its hot, or more than one. 2nd most likely stuck/busted thermostat - drop it in hot water to test - should open at 90C.

An engine can over heat, blow water out of the over flow, then it looks like it has lost water when it cools down again.

Overheating in older cars is often down to blocked channels - flush the block and the rad and see what happens? People just don't reaise how a weak anitfreeze mix can rust an engine - how many top up with 50/50 mix ? not many, its a jug of pure H2O from the tap.

C.

If theres wtaer in the oil, it's usually creamy frothy, but pull the plug from the sump tp be sure. If the head gasket has gone you can usually smell patrol in the wtaer as well - it goes both ways, and youd notice the loss in power - my money reckons a pin hole leak somewhere letting out pressure when its hot, or more than one. 2nd most likely stuck/busted thermostat - drop it in hot water to test - should open at 90C.

An engine can over heat, blow water out of the over flow, then it looks like it has lost water when it cools down again.

Overheating in older cars is often down to blocked channels - flush the block and the rad and see what happens? People just don't reaise how a weak anitfreeze mix can rust an engine - how many top up with 50/50 mix ? not many, its a jug of pure H2O from the tap.

C.

Funny you should say that C, I drove most of the way back with the windows half down and climate control on full to help cool it a bit. After we got back Chris couldn't resist trying it out on some off road bits and left a few marks here and there on the soggier ones. Anyway I noticed the temp gauage on max so we sat for a while with the CCon full again - and all the windows promptly steamed up within seconds!

Edited by Dave-G

Sounds expensive to me.

Especially if the auto box is up the creek :stupid:

Did you not give it a test drive before paying?

we did not test drive , i think Dave would have sussed anything if it was blatantly worn or noisy, shan't worry to much until i get info back from dealer

Steamy windows usually means heater matrix gone/about to go - where the water from the engine flows into the heater assembly to dump its heat before flowing back to the engine. Somtimes you get a puff of steam after turnign air con back on, but its gone in seconds.

You should be able to by pass it with some easy pipe work under the bonnet, but I had one go full burst on me in an ancient fiesta 20 years ago and it emptied the contents of the cooling system into the cockpit. Hot wet feet.

Try that, if there's no over heating then, that might be the culprit. Steam in the cockpit - shouldn't be happening and has to come from somewhere! Wouls also explain why yuo are losing water but cant see any leaks when cold.

If so easy fix on most cars - don't let the dealer do it for you.

Cubix.

cubix is the man, steamy windows means dumping coolant in the cabin which is heater matrix, as long as you've not overheated the head you may be fine. Replace it rather than bypass and all should be good. If you've belts making a noise then just tension them properly or change them

bought the pajaro home last night with Dave g, kept over heating but seemed OK until i started it cold today, the noise from the gearbox was horrendous its now down the dealer for a report :good: fingers crossed. Might be head gasket problem.

got the report to day rad is not free flowing needs new one £680. fitted :blink: .don't think so. try elsewhere me thinks, cant tell if head is gone till i replace rad. :good:

Get your jet washer in and flush it first, could be someone has bunged it with radweld in which case its new one you need anyway, or could be full of crud. Flush the engine while you're on. Easy peasy. Take it out first so you can give iyt a shake, and let it steep in limescale remover for a few hours - calgon.

Dont know how much expereince you have of this, but theres not much you cant do yourself. Check water pump while you're on.

the 680 will be to fit as well, avergae mechanic charges 90 quid an hour.

Still chekc that matrix though - if theres **** in the rad, or its knacked then the rest of the system will have it in as well.

My typing on this forum is awful.

The coolant looked brown - could be radweld or that stuff in the link I found to try and plug a leak. Maybe the guy cured a head gasket leak but blocked the rad with the stuff.

It got seriously hot in the car with the windows closed so the matrix wont be blocked, could still be a leak in it though. Or maybe it's drawing steamy air into the cabin from the engine compartment.

time to try and find a wrote off pajero for the radiator

could also just be rusty water. How old is the Paj?

Personally I'd get a hose pipe and flush the rad and cooling system thoroughly and then re-fill it making sure its bled properly. Then run it up to temp and see what happens, one way of checking for HG failure is to get it to a garage with an exhaust testing probe and check the expansion tank for signs of exhaust gasses. if they are present then its gone. Other options are the thermostat is seized shut causing it to overheat and bung the coolant out of the overflow. I'd take it out if the other checks are negative and you can check it works in a saucepan of hot water