T8 Troubles

garyb

Well... I'm having a bad run of luck it seems of late, after missing a couple of Foxes lately with my new 223 it was time to check my Zero.

I got out with Stealth Stalker and Pin on a couple of trips to Bisley and the local permission, where by a lot of ammo was used - but I was never satisfied with the groupings - I started to blame myself / the weather... I even put it down that I had become recoil shy and was pulling every shot.

This week I had another outing to try and get it sorted... 1st 3 shots at 100yards.. 2 within 1/2inch the next? Not even on paper ? - Must be me I thought, so I passed SS the rifle, and exactly the same thing, expect this time one of the 3 was 7-8inch high / right !!

So... again, we went out - this time with the expert advice from the Peltman we had come up with a troubleshooting plan, of taking the rifle back to basics and trying to fault find... The paper below really shocked me.

The long and short of it seems to be... with the T8 on the end of the barrel sometimes the bullets are hitting paper SIDEWAYS (as shown)..

Compare the groups from MOD - ON to MOD - OFF.... I can find no issue with either myself or rifle, when the mod is not screwed on.

Has anyone else ever seen anything like this? - It's quite clear from the picture ,you can even make out the shape of the bullet !!

post-2887-1221695046.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anything obviously incorrect with the muzzle?

Is the mod touching anything? bipod, lamp mount, stock etc...

The mod should fit with a very slightly gap between bush and barrel, if this is touching maybe its been cut off centre.

Is the Mod looking 100%, its not shaped like a banana or overly gas cut at the end? Also when you look through it do any of the baffles impede the path of the bullet?

Nope.. Can't see too much of an issue there Nick

The barrel is quite long and touches nothing... It's free floating even on the bipod with the T8 on.

I'll have to check when I get home if these is a small gap... The only other thing which has concerned me since talking to a couple of T8 users is. When I brought the gun, I had the shop fit the T8 too... he "adjusted" the bush with a stanley knife to make it fit the barrel.. could this cause an issue? I do have a lot of faith in the shop and their ability mind.

Nope.. Can't see too much of an issue there Nick

The barrel is quite long and touches nothing... It's free floating even on the bipod with the T8 on.

I'll have to check when I get home if these is a small gap... The only other thing which has concerned me since talking to a couple of T8 users is. When I brought the gun, I had the shop fit the T8 too... he "adjusted" the bush with a stanley knife to make it fit the barrel.. could this cause an issue? I do have a lot of faith in the shop and their ability mind.

I would say yes, but then all of mine have been fitted by a friend who is a gun smith for a large gunshop who uses a lathe for this job. Meaning he can accuratly set the gap.

Having said this, i know of t8 bushes being fitted in all sorts of ways, including not fitted and touching the barrel.

It's probably had around 150 - 200 rounds through it, not all the same ammo - but like I said, I've never been happy it was "Zeroed" 100%...

We only noticed the key holeing problem after setting a target at 25yrds rather than 100....

It's not always the 3rd shot... Sometimes it can be all over the place, but it does seem to group ok(ish) on the 1st clip of 3 out of the slip, maybe two will be within 1/2 inch and a flyer...

Edited by garyb

I had a similar problem when i first bought my tikka T3 and T8 - i had the gun screw cut and tried it out, it was fine with the mod offbut shot rubbish groups with the mod on. Turns out the screwcut was slightly ( and i mean very slightly) off centre, i had it re-cut by an engineer and its fine now.

i would get some one to look at the screwcut/crown and also how well the rear bush fits onto your barrel, infact i think i would try a re-cut and re-crown just be be sure.

As Stuartp says if it shoots 100% without the mod on it must be something to do with the mod. It's either the screw cutting on the barrel or the mod.

Can you borrow another T8 to try ? and by a process of elimination you should be able to come up with the answer.

My thoughts would be the screw cutting, the bush and finally the mod itself. If the first two are 100% then send the T8 back to Jackson's for test.