I need a new 4x4

Stealth Stalker

After my brief & disasterous fling with a Frontera, I'm back in the old Landy, but with the on set of winter I can't bear the thought of scraping the ice off the inside of the windscreen & getting out to warm up. Not to mention counting lamposts to the gallon.

I'm thinking of biting the bullet & going for a brand new 4x4 using my old work Sprinter towards a 2K saving with the government scrappage scheme.

I've been looking at the Mitzy L200 as they seem to be the cheapest Jap 4x4's & it being a Light Commercial Vehicle there is some sort of tax & VAT benefits that I could claim? Does anyone know what thats all about?

I am thinking of using the new 4x4 as my work vehicle (thats if I ever get any more work again) :sick: & shooting wagon. Does anyone own a L200 & are they any good off road? It will probably see more mud than tarmac!

Or is there anything else out there around the 14K bracket that I should consider?

Cheers

SS

Is the scrappage scheme all its cracked up to be?

I had an 03 Animal L200. I enjoy driving and it wasnt a drivers car, but then again what 4x4 is. (and if you have been driving a Fronty a butchers bike will be a step up!)

I may stand corrected, but if you get a single cab L200 you can use it as a work van and wont get personally taxed if bought through the business. If you get a double cab and buy it through the business you will pay around about £300-400 a year in tax. (well this is what my previous accountant told me). If you are VAT registered and the truck you buy is subject to VAT then you can claim the VAT back. You can also claim all the diesel and servicing.

MC and I discussed this very subject whilst sitting in a hide on Sunday and we both agreed that the Hilux is the best of the bunch. I would get the best Hilux you can for £14k.

The scrappage isnt worth having compared to the depreciation on a new motor, just buy a decent secondhand one.

Edited by ME

After my brief & disasterous fling with a Frontera, I'm back in the old Landy, but with the on set of winter I can't bear the thought of scraping the ice off the inside of the windscreen & getting out to warm up. Not to mention counting lamposts to the gallon.

I'm thinking of biting the bullet & going for a brand new 4x4 using my old work Sprinter towards a 2K saving with the government scrappage scheme.

I've been looking at the Mitzy L200 as they seem to be the cheapest Jap 4x4's & it being a Light Commercial Vehicle there is some sort of tax & VAT benefits that I could claim? Does anyone know what thats all about?

I am thinking of using the new 4x4 as my work vehicle (thats if I ever get any more work again) :sick: & shooting wagon. Does anyone own a L200 & are they any good off road? It will probably see more mud than tarmac!

Or is there anything else out there around the 14K bracket that I should consider?

Cheers

SS

Is the scrappage scheme all its cracked up to be?

Maybe look into the new Freelander 2? forget about the reliability issues of the old model...I use mine for work, shooting etc, plenty of room for 2 Springers and a GSP in the boot. Very nice to drive/economical/comfy etc. Most people who have tried mine have been suprised just how good a car it is.

SS I've an L200 and you're more than welcome to try it off road, though of 2001 vintage I use it as an every day driver and get on well with it. I have got decent semi off road tryes on it and it doesn't make that much difference on road to the noise etc and still averages 30 to the gallon with mixed on and off road driving. If you buy a new "commercial" spec one they are less bling and really built as you'd expect with mitsubishi. A mate has just bought a 2007 elegance version with 30K on it for 10K and though auto its a very nice truck a bit too smart for my liking but very functional and a lot of the gear is shared with the shogun and certainly the interior looks very similar but without it being 10K more expensive.

My truck will go anywhere you should be going off road and though the arguments are the length stops you climbing banks etc you need a really big bank to stop it and really you don't get many of them in Hertfordshire. Where it comes into its own is lamping, with the back off we have a pair of old suzuki car seats welded to a pair of scaffold poles that sit on the rear tub and that puts you at a perfect height to use the roof as a rest.

on road it is very reasonable for a 4x4 the low centre of gravity makes it handle well and though its not in car league its a pretty reasonable place to be. Best bit being in the winter with a top on all smelly gear lives outside the cabin including dogs so no much and smell inside.

Tax wise its still a commercial vehicle so at the lower rate of road tax but you'd need to speak to your accountant as the best way to deal with the other side of tax, though if you use it in the same manner as your van then it will probably be treated the same depending what your trade is.

Edited by al4x

Cheers for that Al4x :good:

I'm going to Mitzys & Toyotas tomorrow & I'll probably make a decision then. L200 or splash out on a Hilux.

I'm still not 100% convinced on this scrappage scheme, i'll go in & see what I can screw out of them first, then play the scrappage card & weigh it all up.

SS

ive got the new shape L200 and cant fault it as i use it for work as a self employed joiner and use it for the lamping as well . Its a completly different beast to the old one that i traded in for this one . Its good on road at about 35 to the gallon and handles more car like . It works well for me and all i ask it to do

my cuz called up from devon the weekend and we popt over to a rifle shop in his 04 hilux and i can tell you it was the best drive i have had in a long time smooth as can be .not sure what it would be like off road but from my own experiance found the rear end to light but it was a pleasure to drive this one .

Cheers for that Al4x <_<

I'm going to Mitzys & Toyotas tomorrow & I'll probably make a decision then. L200 or splash out on a Hilux.

I'm still not 100% convinced on this scrappage scheme, i'll go in & see what I can screw out of them first, then play the scrappage card & weigh it all up.

SS

What did you go for stealth stalker ??

I've bought a new hilux In the past & this time i've bought a new L200

The 59 L200 was cheaper than the new 02 Hilux 7 years ago !

The 59 hilux still only has just a lap belt in the middle back & is way over priced

for me the L200 has come on alot since i bought the Hilux, more room inside,swapped over the gear shift & low box shift(cos in 5th gear the gear shifter sticks in yer leg!!) The 4x4 system is way better on the Trojan & above models & lastly 4 me the Hilux has just got to big/American. Where as the new L200 just isnt as big

Seems like the turning circle is better on the L200 also better

Have a look the L200 passes & the Hilux doesnt !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZF8N9NItHI...feature=related

Edited by mmm_a_luv_a_fish_supper_me