What model is this (P.Magnet)

barrie0

If you can measure the amount of current it is drawing with 2 arms and decoys mounted then you can work out how long the battery should last.

i.e if it draws 1 amp the battery should last for 17 hours

if it draws 17 amps the battery should last for 1 hour.

2 amps 8.5 hours

So 17 / amps

Other than that just put it on and let it run. Other things that will effect it I suppose are wind on the day.

Thanks Plexer , I do have a digital multimeter somewhere but can't remember where I put it after the house move and I am sure it has an amp measuring setting on it , would I be right to just connect it to the + and - wires where it clips on to the battery terminals to measure this ?

Barrie you have to connect the multimeter in series with the battery not across it in parallel if you do that then you will just measure the voltage of the battery.

So set it on whatever range it needs to be according to the manual or other resource. Then connect the meter in between one of the leads and the battery terminal.

Precautions for Current Measurements

* Turn the power off to the device and discharge any capacitors!

* Plug the black test lead into the COM jack.

* Plug the red test lead into either the

o 200 mA jack for small current measurements, or the

o 10 A jack for large current measurements.

* If you do not know the approximate current about to be measured, use the 10 A jack.

* Set the function/range switch to either

o DC amperes in the lower right, or

o AC amperes in the middle right.

* Break open the circuit at the point where you want to measure the current by removing one of the wires. Connect the free end of the red test lead to one place at which the wire was attached. Connect the free end of the black test lead to the other place at which the wire was attached. Current is always measured with the meter in SERIES with the device. If you do not understand the difference between SERIES and PARALLEL, ask your TA. Using the current meter incorrectly will blow the fuse or damage the meter. (It will also cost you points on your lab writeup.)

* Reapply the power to the device.

* If the LCD displays either "1." or "-1." with all other digits blank, the current is beyond the selected range. Use the switch to select a larger range.

* Once you know the approximate current through the device, then use the switch to select the lowest current range that will still accomodate the current through the device.

* Turn the power off to the device before removing the meter from the circuit.

Well it definitely isn't a Pinewood Advantage, probably the best rotary decoying device in the World.......................................shame about the hide poles. :lol:

I would imagine that a 12volt battery would power it for a days shooting, at least.

Thats what most rotarys use..

I would imagine that a 12volt battery would power it for a days shooting, at least.

Thats what most rotarys use..

All rotorarys with a 12v car wiper motor as their means of propulsion will work on a 12v battery, what else would make them spin? :lol:

The critical thing is how low the output of the battery can be to make them last for your session. I used the 17ah battery that came with my rotor and it usually lasted about 4/5 hours on one charge which I found wasn't always long enough.

At the moment I use a 35ah car battery which will run for 2 full shooting sessions but of course the penalty is the weight of it so it is only used when I can drive the 4x4 up to the hide to unload the gear.

I think the ideal situation is to make do with the lightest battery that you can get away with but have a spare in your motor as back up.

Once I had to resort to borrowing the battery off the gas gun that I had switched off but these days the modern ones seem to be securely fastened to the gun as apparantly some of our "mobile residents" found out that when they needed a new battery for their towing vehicle, they listened for the bang in a nearby field and the gas gun banged no more until the farmer fitted another.

Ern ,

I had it on today for 4 hours and it was still going strong , and I am going back to the farm tommorow so will see how much longer it lasts , I also did think about "borrowing" one of his gas gun batteries if needed as his gas guns just connect up with crocodile clips . As long as I don't run his battery down as I don't think he would be to happy . The weight of a battery in the long term does'nt matter now as they have now given me a key to the quad shed lock up (they have 4 of them) . Jonno you are probably right about it being a cheap copy but it seems to work fine at the moment and if the motor breaks I may take a trip down to the car scrap yard and see if I could bodge up a fix as at least now I have the framework of the machine and the mechanisim seems straightforward enough . It certainly worked on the few corvids and woodies that I saw today .

All rotorarys with a 12v car wiper motor as their means of propulsion will work on a 12v battery, what else would make them spin? :thumbs:

Apologies, I should have added the "17ah" to the "12volt", which is what I meant.

The 12V, 17ah battery that came with my Pinewood Advantage, (probably the best rotary decoy machine in the World), has never run out during a shooting day, some of which last about 10 hours. :(

I "empty" it every now and then and completely recharge it, which I believe is recommended.

Apologies, I should have added the "17ah" to the "12volt", which is what I meant.

:( I assumed it was an omission Cranfield but the temptation was too much. :thumbs:

I have heard many times that the Pinewood rotor is very battery efficient and am not a bit surprised that you get such good results from a 17ah battery.

Yes it is a good policy to completely discharge a battery now and then before re-charging it.

:( I assumed it was an omission Cranfield but the temptation was too much. :thumbs:

I have heard many times that the Pinewood rotor is very battery efficient and am not a bit surprised that you get such good results from a 17ah battery.

Yes it is a good policy to completely discharge a battery now and then before re-charging it.

That reminds me Ern. I need to charge my batteries up for the weekend :lol::lol::lol:

I use a 24volt charger. Easier and I can charge then in pairs. I use the smaller amp batteries to run lamps for well obvious

Jonno

Edited by jonno 357