How to preserve a fox brush

Macnab

Hi all

Done a quick search and can't find a foolproof guide. Can anyone tell me how to get this done reliably please?

I don't normally keep the brushes but this came off a magnificent specimen and should really be 'saved for the nation'. I took it off the bone the morning after it was shot. I would like to cure the inside of the tail and soak it in something to get rid of the fox smell (which isn't strong).

I will probably give it to the guy who runs our local shoot. I was out with him on Saturday night and we were surrounded by foxes. For lots of reasons we couldn't get a shot at them, until we found a safe shot at a reasonable distance. I was all set and pulled the trigger to hear a horrifying click.....by the time I actually got a round in the chamber the fox had heard me swearing and was trotting on.

I stayed out after my friend called it a night as I was determined to get the fox I now owed him. Hence I want to give him the brush.

Thanks for any help.

M

Simplest way is to wash it and let it dry, to get rid of the smell and then hang up in a shed or airy place to dry naturally. If the smell is all away you may get away with drying indoors on a sunny (?) window.

The brush will dry and the skin will get tough and not too pliable, if you want/need pliable then try one of the other methods.

Take a plastic tube {old biro with end cut off} push it down inside of tail to tip start pouring fine tablesalt down the tube withdrawing tube as you pour fill it right to the top leave in shed or somewhere dry for a month or so. Once totally dry empty out salt give the tail a good shake there will be no smell. I ve used one prepared like that for the terrier racing

display for 4 years and its still going strong. :blink:

Just in case anyone else is searching the site planning to do this the following worked well for me....

I soaked the brush in meths for 4 days (but this could be longer or shorter within reason) then rinsed it well in fresh water, let it dry in the sun as much as possible then gradually fill the empty case with borax using a funnel and a garden cane working the powder all the way into the tip. After a few days work as much of the powder out of the brush as you can and soften up the skin by gently rolling it around. Bingo.

M

Just in case anyone else is searching the site planning to do this the following worked well for me....

I soaked the brush in meths for 4 days (but this could be longer or shorter within reason) then rinsed it well in fresh water, let it dry in the sun as much as possible then gradually fill the empty case with borax using a funnel and a garden cane working the powder all the way into the tip. After a few days work as much of the powder out of the brush as you can and soften up the skin by gently rolling it around. Bingo.

M

Where do you get the borax from? I tried like a man possesed a few years back & couldn't find it anywhere?

SS