Best Gun Shop In Essex

domrees

Hi Guys

Im hoping that my firearms officer today (2nd November) is going to pass my gun cabinet.

I was just wondering where the best gun shop in Essex is, currently im going to eastern sporting www.easternsporting.com and i find there customer service the best i have come across so far, very pleasent and alan walker the owner very helpful with gun fitting and reccomnedations.

Just wanted your thoughts.

Thanks

I've used Essex Gun, Eastern Sporting, Mays and Leech's - don't really have a bad word to say about any of them. I think that makes us Essex Boys lucky in comparison to some of the horror stories you hear.

For me it nearly always comes down to convenience, since work moved from Basildon to Chelmsford it can be hard for me to get to Essex Gun before closing but I have always found big Al to be a top bloke there. Eastern Sporting and Leech's are now both within 10 minutes from my work, as already said (not so big) Alan at Eastern Sporting is a top no nonsense bloke too.

I hope to be singing the praises of Dave and his father from Leech's tomorrw because they have repaired the damaged stock on my 682 Gold E. I do like the banter in there too.

BR

Raja

Another vote for Eastern Sporting.

The measure of good service for me is when things go wrong and how you are looked after to resolve. I had a problem with a gun I bought from Alan and he bent over backwards to resolve it to my satisfaction.

His prices are as good as you will find on the internet on most things.

Top service and always a friendly welcome.

Edited by Dibs

I would add void leech and son he would sell you anything he has in stock it might not be what you want but if he has it he will talk you into it. Plus the prices are never the same .he is even worse when he has someone in the shop he knows he then try's to belittle you as if you no nothing. definitely not a shop for the novice shooter god only knows what you would come out with. :welcomeani:

Personaly I use Roding armoury [ and its cheaper than Eastern sporting ] in Abridge its a case of getting to know the people in the shop the same with Leech , no problem with either of them . Go in and have a chat at either shop and you will always see plenty of customers in them .

Dave

I agree with most advice on here so far.

Eastern Sporting is a great starting point - Alan is great. The shop gets busy - but as long as you aren't on a deadline Alan will always find time to help you enormously. He is fairly good technically too and doesn't bluff. The shop is well laid out and has good stock - it's a nice family business. The Jack Russell behind the till barks a bit of late although that's more than offset by Amanda's smile ;o)

Leech takes a bit of getting used to. I know that when I first went in there I felt a little awkward - and he can come across as rude! But once you get used to him it's quite a laugh going in there - I enjoy the banter. If you give as good as you take in there it's normally a good laugh. Behind it all he enjoys your custom and looks after you well too. Ask him about the history of the business and you'll get a good view of his passion for the business. If you have any technical problems or questions he is always pleased to help. He knows more about gunsmithing that any anybody else I've ever met - he is a trained gunsmith, not just a gun seller.

Essex Gun is great too. I haven't been there as much but have always enjoyed the visit.

All the shops above have list prices and labels that are high, in my view. But they can generally be negotiated - although I try to balance this making sure the owners get to earn a living and will still be there for us for many years!

I don't believe in only dealing with only one gunshop. Although most of my guns have come from Leech & Sons that simply because he had what I wanted in stock on the day at the right price. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Eastern Sporting either - in fact I probably get my Son a gun there early next year for his 18th.

Visit them all, enjoy and build a relationship with the owners - they're all good guys and in a different league to most 'shop keepers'.

Steve

Good post there Mister :blink:

Dave and his Dad at Leech's have done me proud on the stock repair - the finish is much better than it was when new :good:

I can see where the damage was and the profile of the bottom of the grip reflects the levelling out that was needed but very few others would be able to tell from just looking at it.

• 3 months later...

i know its not in essex but simpsons of newmarket are the best to me. barry used to work for beretta,him and the whole family are top clay shots.

i recently brought a new rifle there. i rand up 10 gun shops and they were the cheapest even cheaper than essex gun and eastern sporting but all 3 shops are good