Owl decoy

unclestuffy

I have read plenty now about decoying crows and I have decided the next time I go out I am going to use a stuffed tawny owl on a fence post.

Technical questions (I know that there is a lot of trial and error)

Will a tawny owl draw in a mob of crows (I have read they love to go for short earred owls) as I have a stuffed one ready to deploy out.

Assuming that I can call them in on a squeaker etc - is it best to wait for the first crows to make an alarm call to draw more in so there are plenty about or do you start shooting when the crow comes into range?

If there are too many then when you shoot they will learn that you are about and avoid the area but too few might not raise a big enough alarm - this is the dilema I am in

Thank you :good::good:

:P It maybe that a Tawny owl won't work too well as I don't think that Tawnies take crows (I'll stand to be corrected on this :welcomeani: )

I have had moderate success with a plastic Eagle Owl but the best idea is to fix the dead crow you have to the feet as has been suggested.

Use repeated calls an your caller in blasts of three, this is the alarm call and should get them coming in. Don't wait for numbers, just shoot them as they come into range. You will scare fewer off that way.

Happy crow bashing :good:

GH

What an interesting website - certian made me think about the calls I was making.

I think that I might take a stuffed sparrow hawk as well and also a peragrine falcon to see which one gets the best results.

I am going to have to practice my crow calling away from anyone else in case the irritation of the calling produces a reaction that sees the device inserted in a place that would be very uncomfortable :welcomeani: