Where do i stand on shooting Muntjac?

Yes they can be shot, there is no close season for Muntjac, yes they taste great.

You will need to read up a bit on the legal side before you get started - you need to use a rifle of the right calibre and they can't shot them at night for instance.

You could start here:

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/codes-of-practic...er-stalking.cfm

you must also have permission to shoot them if it's not your land.

just because a farmer lets you shoot pigeon and rabbit may not mean he's happy for you to shoot the munties.

you can't shoot them with a shotgun, it must be with a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains.

Edited by nickbeardo

Can anyone tell me on where i would stand with shooting Muntjac?

Cheers

Downwind, in cover, very still and armed with a decent 243 and a pair of sticks :good:

& yes, like the others have said, you must have permission, an FAC which permits deer, a safe backstop, a suitable round and a good knowledge of the species so that you don't leave an orphan

You can shoot Muntjac with a shotgun.

Home office guidelines state as follows;

13.31 The Deer Act also authorises the use of smooth-bore guns of at least 12 bore for shooting deer, firing a non spherical slug of at least 350 grains to kill deer on cultivated land, pasture or enclosed woodland if it can be shown that the deer were causing serious damage to crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber or other property, that such damage was likely to continue and that that action was needed to prevent this. This provision was intended to allow farmers and crofters who own a shot gun but not a rifle to deal with marauding deer. Shot guns for use with solid slug should be cylinder bored and fitted with sights, if available. Solid slug is section 1 ammunition and so a firearm certificate would be needed for possession and use.

A suitable rifle would be more appropriate for a regular need to control deer.

HTH

Cooter :rolleyes:

I can see the point, just about, if you are absolutely overrun with them.

But knocking a huge hole through them and virtually destroying the thing just to get rid of it seems a bit extreme IMO.

Why not get the right rifle/bullet and do the job properly?

As has been seen on here recently, you will end up with dome nice meat as a bonus.

They may be small and very common in some areas but they are still deer, not foxes.

I can see the point, just about, if you are absolutely overrun with them.

But knocking a huge hole through them and virtually destroying the thing just to get rid of it seems a bit extreme IMO.

Why not get the right rifle/bullet and do the job properly?

As has been seen on here recently, you will end up with dome nice meat as a bonus.

They may be small and very common in some areas but they are still deer, not foxes.

100% right.... think 2 words......"sledgehammer" and "nut"

the right tool for the job is important in most aspects of life. :rolleyes:

ok, but for practical purposes you can't (unless you have section 1 slugs), and it's not recommended.

there's talk of this changing very soon to get rid of it anyway.

AAA's are fine as well, we've done it when the estate was over run a long while back, they runied the first shooting season every drive would have 5 plus at the front flushing birds, it co incided with a new keeper who wanted to sort the problem fast due to the damage being done. Then we had another go on an enclosed garden after it became enclosed there are few ways of getting hold of them fast. Realistically they are an alien species to the UK that breeds all year round and does damage our woodlands and aren't much bigger than a fox. AAA's are very effective on them we cleared about 20 from a 100 acre garden in two days with heavy undergrowth you really would have struggled with a rifle to get those numbers. Subsequently they have belgian stalkers now and sell the stalking and do very well out of it but if you've a plantation of trees you've spent thousands planting and fencing you tend to want any deer that get in out very fast. The BDS etc get upset as they like deer stalking to seem exclusive but look at driven shooting through europe with slugs and rifles and to me there isn't much difference except that you've got a follow up shot or two at the ready. Once you've shot a few you realise its very effective if the circumstances demand a rapid culling.

I'll hasten to add that they were perfectly edible had some of the nicest sausages I've had mixed with pot belly pig but thats another story

Edited by al4x

You can shoot Muntjac with a shotgun.

Home office guidelines state as follows;

13.31 The Deer Act also authorises the use of smooth-bore guns of at least 12 bore for shooting deer, firing a non spherical slug of at least 350 grains to kill deer on cultivated land, pasture or enclosed woodland if it can be shown that the deer were causing serious damage to crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber or other property, that such damage was likely to continue and that that action was needed to prevent this. This provision was intended to allow farmers and crofters who own a shot gun but not a rifle to deal with marauding deer. Shot guns for use with solid slug should be cylinder bored and fitted with sights, if available. Solid slug is section 1 ammunition and so a firearm certificate would be needed for possession and use.

A suitable rifle would be more appropriate for a regular need to control deer.

HTH

Cooter :rolleyes:

This is a 'Guideline' and not the law - they can be shot with your average cartridge if you so wish (not recommended though and very stupid if you do do it).

I also agree with most on here though, a Rifle is the best method for a quick humane kill on any of the deer species Muntjack included

The Deer Act 1991 is most specific on the circumstances and those persons that may use a shotgun to shoot marauding deer. It is permissible to use a 12 bore shotgun with the appropriate size shot or solid slug which has to be authorised on your fac.

However for all intents and purposes the use of a shotgun is not an option as the Deer Act criteria is stringent and not open to "bending"of the rules and quite rightly so. It is a valuable recourse for farmers and growers where the use of a rifle is either impractical or simply not available.

I have an interest in a nursery in Berkshire where we suffer terrible damage from muntjac in pest proportions. I have wasted hours there with a rifle to try and cull them all but believe me a shotgun with SG's and slugs does a quick efficient job.

Typically, the BDS are trying to have this "farmers exemption" done away with................ain't their money and living on the line.

Must almost be time to put a fence up Charlie :rolleyes:

Got stockfence round the ruddy place (it's about 150 acres) but can't make the entire place stock proof because of the nature of the business....... the little monsters just walk in through the farm shop car park, you just would not believe it.

My best option is to sell my share !!.

Got stockfence round the ruddy place (it's about 150 acres) but can't make the entire place stock proof because of the nature of the business....... the little monsters just walk in through the farm shop car park, you just would not believe it.

My best option is to sell my share !!.

Why not sell the stalking instead?

you'd be surprised fencing sounds simple but the garden we used to shoot had deer fencing and was electrified but fences in woodland always seem to have branches falling on them, badgers seem able to lift the bottom up and you have to know you've got them all out which is far from simple.