SNAKEBITE

WOULD YOU USE REAL TREE "BLAZE"?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. WOULD YOU USE REAL TREE "BLAZE"?

• YES
    • NO
    • NOT WITHOUT MORE EVIDENCE
    • I WOULD RATHER WEAR A TUTU.

As an aside to Bipolars thread about "field fashion" I thought I would run this by you all................

In this months edition of an airgun magazine I was reading in the newsagents I saw an article about "Blaze", a camoflauge pattern from Real Tree.

It is BRIGHT ORANGE!!! (with a break up pattern).

The idea is safety. In the U.S. it is a legal requirement that a hunter wears some sort of orange clothing to stop other hunters shooting them. (Well they are good at friendly fire incidents after all!)

In the photo it does look as though it would do the job, however it just does not look right!! The rabbits only see in black and white so to them it makes no difference. The break up pattern blends in as much as any normal camo.

Another arguement is that it presents a much less threatening sight to anyone coming upon a "hunter" carrying a rifle. In this day and age is this not a good thing?, or are pandering to the "nanny state"?

I can see the point in some ways and to be honest when in the field with a couple of other shooters I have been tempted to use the orange lining on my beanie hat, which was put there for just such occasions but (just in the name of safety and NOT a reflection on their shooting skills!) have not plucked up the "courage!!"

What do you all think?

I don't think realtree blaze would have helped with the only friendly fire incident I've suffered. Happened about twenty years ago when the burk I was shooting with accidently let of his twelve bore right behind me - - - made a football sized hole in the ground about eighteen inches from my foot and covered my head in soil.... Come to think of it, I'm shooting with him again on Friday - anybody know where I can buy a kevlar vest and leggings? Any colour will do...

I checked it out on the website (link below) and I can honestly say "NO" I wouldnt wear it in this country.

Blaze

I can see the obvious advantage to being seen by other hunters but to be totally effective it would have to blend into an orange background. Whilst countries like Canada and the states get a great variety and 'bloom' of autumn oranges and reds etc., I just dont think it would wotk in this country.

Not to mention that if you can easily be seen by your colleagues you can also be easily seen by Joe Public. Something that I always try and avoid where possible. I wouldnt invite an anti to be anti!

Just my opinion. ???

Regards,

Axe.

ONLY in America as they say...where you can also buy orange toilet paper for the same reason. Talk about taking it up the ****.

Suit you sir! Some years ago there was an article about the best camo for deer stalking, it was bright dayglo pink, something to do with deer being blind to that colour spec, suit a lot of you boys on here no doubt ???

I can see the obvious advantage to being seen by other hunters but to be totally effective it would have to blend into an orange background.

BUT ... rabbits are colour blind! (allegedly)

It does say in the article that it is no good for pigeons. They are fashion concious by all accounts and let's face it, orange is SO last year darling.

BUT ... rabbits are colour blind! (allegedly)

That they are but isnt it about concealing yourself. Even if they are colour blind they will still be able to make your outline. If you were to watch a film in black and white, you would be able to make out a shape if the shape were one colour and the background another.

Remember the 'it'll be alright on the night' clip of the black and white snooker. The yellow is the ball next to the blue!! but you could still see the brighter colour balls better against the green cloth!! Bright orange on darker greens and brown ...hmmmm!

Regards

Axe.

Fair point indeed but isn't that the case with any camoflauge?

There are limited shades in black and white of grey, but each colour has the same amount of shades as well. Just takimg the primary colours thats 3 times the amount!

Oh why did I start this ???:)

I have only myself to blame!

If rabbits see in two tone then it wouldnt matter what colour you wore as long as it blends in with the background.

Anyway, who is it that has voted to wear the tutu? thats not gonna look good in the field!!!! :shoot: :yp: ???:):D:D

Joe publics definitely gonna think a phsyco is on the loose! :shoot: :(

Regards,

Axe.

Edited by Axe

reminds me about the story i heard from the states where they have to wear the the orange hi vis jackets while shooting. good i dea i hear you say to protect the hunters from friendly fire. And yes it works until the animal rights people hit upon the bright idea of putting the jackets on the deer LOL was the highest number of hunter casualties recorded that month in the local hospitals LOL

ROB ???

Just maybe they cant see the red band of the spectrum as well as other colours. Im sure I have a link somewhere of a study into what rabbits actually see 1 mo.....

....aha! here it is:

Rabbit Study

Does it really answer the question?!? ???

Regards,

Axe.

for gods sake dont start this one off again LOL

thats it give me the tutu!!!! Im off for some bunny bashing LOL

ROB :)

Talking of wearing bright orange - anyone remember that sad case last year when a kid was shot while out lamping with his father? Terrible thing that - I think it was the dad that fired the round, but am not certain. There must be a high chance of that when people in groups are shooting in the dark. Maybe fluorescent reflective jackets for lamping expeditions???

not even movement, its shape, if they register something as a shape that they see as a threat they scarper, however if you are say sat in a chain in the middle of a field they will happily come out infront of you. trust me, sounds bizzar but ive done it before, on bits of land where the hedgelines run in such a way that you cant get in a hedge and have a safe shot. its not ideal as movement also plays a role in identifying you as a bad object. but it works.

dpm does me with the colour of my surroundings, as LB says i think colour is a bit of a conn.

hense why wood pigeons will fly straight over you as long as they cant see your face and your still, its movement and them recognising your a threat (quick movements of a gun)