What to buy? .17hmr cleaning

kyska

I'm not sure if I'm using the search section properly, I've tried and I'm sure there must be stuff on this site about this!

I'm looking on line at the minute to get all the cleaning kit I need for my newly aqquired HMR.

I've had mixed advice, from boresnaking every session, to barrel solvents, brushes and pull throughs etc.

Can someone give me some advice on what i should buy please? I don't want to spend a fortune on bits and sprays, oils etc if I don't really need them.

Thanks

Kyska

Get a rod and run some cotton patches through when your groupings start to open up. I am not a fan of boresnakes. One gunsmith likes them as he gets a lot of work extracting them from the barrels when the string breaks off :good:

I noticed the rods are stupid money (look on midway UK). I got a Tetra kit with a rod in for £20, which is good. Has a rod, jag, wool mop, patches, brush for cleaning bolt and stuff, oil and a cloth. :good::P

how much?!!!!!

got some of those in my local gunshop for £17.95

thats a pull through cleaning kit which are ok but watch you dont damage the threads or it might break in the barrel "mid pull"

£ 35 is taking the micheal tho,

Oh ok,

I'll go to my RFD and have a chat I think.

Thanks again guys

ive never had boresnake break yet , but i guess it will happen eventually , and then i will just get the gunsmith to rod it out (all of a minute) boresnakes dont fully clean the barrel imho, which is handy as it only takes a few shots to come back on song again after a pull through. i have boresnakes for my .22lr and .172hmr and cant fault them at all and would reccomend them to any one else for rimfires. each to there own though, im sure if you were to give them a deep clean with solvents and brushes you will end up using a lot more ammo to get it shooting right after a clean. just my opion though,

you do need to clean the barrels properly on a .17 because the deposits left by the copper jackets can erode the metal, a rod is much more thorough than a pull thru as you can give it abit more welly.

i disagree , more rifles are damaged by over cleaning than not at all (rimfire) centerfire is completely different , as in you have to have a squeaky clean barrel, throat erosion is caused by excessive heat normally , the hmr isnt exactly going to burn a barrel out super quick . just my opinion, try it a few different ways , see what suits your rifle and take it from there, got to admit its hard not wanting to clean the bore shiney clean after each trip, but whats the point if your eventually going to do more harm than good and take longer to get shooting each time,

i disagree , more rifles are damaged by over cleaning than not at all (rimfire) centerfire is completely different , as in you have to have a squeaky clean barrel, throat erosion is caused by excessive heat normally , the hmr isnt exactly going to burn a barrel out super quick . just my opinion, try it a few different ways , see what suits your rifle and take it from there, got to admit its hard not wanting to clean the bore shiney clean after each trip, but whats the point if your eventually going to do more harm than good and take longer to get shooting each time,

what about the copper deposits oxidizing from the jackets of .17hmr rounds then?

this is the stuff that damages the barrel, where as .22 only leaves a lead deposit.

what about the copper deposits oxidizing from the jackets of .17hmr rounds then?

this is the stuff that damages the barrel, where as .22 only leaves a lead deposit.

its an hmr not a 220 swift running hot ! copper deposits over time will open the groups up yes and depending upon how much you shoot will proberly need a deep clean eventually, but ive shot id say getting on for 2500 shots so far this year and i have managed a sub 1" group at 200 yards with one flyer admittedly ,not just a few weeks ago, and numerous 1" groups at 150 ( so no problems with accuracy) . if i were to deep clean my argument is , it would take 20-30 shots to shoot accurately again. and excessive cleaning can reduce barrel life, id say 99% of hmrs are used for hunting in this country, and i doubt most of us shoot more than 3000 rounds a year in general, so on that generalisation, i reccomend a boresnake over deep cleaning for an hmr... id only deep clean if accuracy went amiss and i knew it wasnt silencer or the setup or ammo. and so far it hasnt . anyways all pretty much each to there own, i know what works for me. and thats my recomendations, until someone recomends a different method of cleaning the hmr for the time benefits without having to waste ammo, im sticking with what i do ... i boresnake mine once only after about 100 to 150 rounds or if its not going to be used for a week .

how many hmr users have actually had a problem with copper buildup ? would be interesting to find out from someone who has had problems...

I understand what you mean and i dont mean to teach you to suck eggs but when copper swarf is left to oxidize in a barrel it will cause pitting. regardless of the speed of the round a .17 hmr round has a copper jacket just like most centrefire rounds. however, as you've described that you "clean" yours at least every week or after shooting then at least its getting some oil down the barrel on a regular basis. This of course will inhibit any oxidization before it has a chance to do any damage.

I apologize if my posts have caused you any offence as this is not my intention. My only concern is if this young chap leaves his rifle uncleaned for any length of time on someones advice and then finds the barrels are pitted, he will most certainly be royally peeved.

I clean my 17 hmr after shooting every time, and have not noticed any change in zero, my .22 gets a patch and nothing more.

my 22/250 gets the same treatment as the .17hmr. this cleaning regime was taken on the advice of several friends & gunsmiths who, to be fair, see quite a lot of damaged rifles due to poor cleaning.

:lol:

Great, thanks.

I'll go to my rfd and buy what I need then, I'll try cleaning it and see what happens, if it causes accuracy problems I'll work something out.

Gram- when you say you clean every time- do you mean slovent, brush the whole lot or a quick pull through?

i use the outfit below with a copper cleaner and a gun lubricant for after cleaning and the lubricant it is okay for the outside of the gun as well.

i only use this if the gun accuracy is bad or if i do not use the gun for sometime and want to store it(this has not been the case at the moment :blink: ).

i use a boresnake after shooting.

al

http://www.cheshiregunroom.com/store/index...roducts_id=3031