Securing gates

Lloyd90

Right guys lab is coming along nicely :hmm: Only thing is she likes to go down the field to see if the neighbours dogs are down there :hmm: Also across the road :oops:

The only way out if the gate, I did put chicken wire all across the bottom, but it took all of 2 minutes for her to just push it up and get under :D Any idea's or tips for keeping them contained ? If I can get the gate sorted the garden will be secure and I can leave her out when Im home without worrying about her every 5 minutes :P

Any tips appreciated :lol:

Its a long wooden one, bit like a farm gate, Got a pillar on one side with two big hinges holding it on.

http://www.woodengatecompany.co.uk/wooden_...tyles.asp?ref=9

Like this one. Thing is it goes up my ol country *** lane to my house so the ground isn't level, otherwise I'd put it flush with the ground. :lol:

Bit of a nightmare really lol!

hello mate, depends on the size of the gap,

i made some gates for a friend of mine last year and we had the same problem.

used heavy guage rubber matting in the end and this did the trick.

it closed up an uneven gap which started at 2" to 7" due to some dodgy asphalt!

hope this helps, maybe fixing the rubber to the front and back then fixing the two sheets loosely together would do the job better as your dog is quite a bit bigger.

Could you not make a bit of a speed bump where the gate shuts to bring the ground level up to it?

I might give this a try but duno what to use :P Anything fixed would just be knocked as the gate was opened. If I do raise the ground up, any suggestions on what to use to block the gap ? Needs to be stronger than chicken wire lol :lol:

what about fixing some sort of electric fence at the bottom where the lab is squezing under?

make some contacts so the wire is only active when the gate is shut.you could power it off a car battery and a small solar panel to keep the battery charged?

without actually seeing what the ground is like and the gates clearence it's hard to guess,sorry but i'll try and help any way i can :lol:

If I was making the speed bump, I'd use concrete but I have a mixer and the ingredients on the farm. You can buy speed bumps but they would be horrendously expensive, WATCO sell one that bolts down. Or some bags of tarmac to form the bump. Think it would need to be something the dog couldn't dig out of the way really.