Ferreting

TomV

Went out last weekend for the first time ferreting with my 2 jills and my pals 4 pole cats. It was the first time out for my ferrets, they did well! The first set we netted had about 15 holes but didnt have any rabbits in. The next had about 20 or so holes which 2 rabbits bolted into the nets. The final set we did had about 10-15 holes which had one rabbit in. Although it wasnt a massive bag it was a important to get my ferrets into the sets. Hopefully going again this weekend!! Whilst on the topic of ferreting, what is the best way to dispatch a rabbit as there are a few methods to use? I've attached a picture of my albino

post-18138-1259606458.jpg

post-18138-1259606473.jpg

The best way I have found is to hold the hind legs and pull the neck in a quick sharp movement.

Karate chopping can be a bit cruel if a clean kill is not acheived .

Regards and well done for showing intrest in ferreting.

Is this easy to do first time or does it take a bit of practice? I will certainly try this method if it is simple and effective

Mossy - I have said what works for me, I never have to hit a rabbit twice using this method. It only takes one chop and they are dead. Anyway I never have to dispatch many rabbits in this way as I shoot them over the ferret. If I was to net the rabbits and kill them I would maybe use a different method.

Whilst still in the net, I hold the rabbit across its shoulders in my left hand, use the heal/palm of my right hand, place it under the chin of the rabbit and push the head back and over the top of my left hand.

Completely breaks the neck in one movement, quick and easy :good:

:stupid: