Any problems I should know about with 2 3/4" Chambers?

FinFerNan

Hello

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I have seen a nice Browning Ultra XS (30" M/C Sporter) and I'm rather taken with it. However it has 2 3/4" chambers. Now as I would only ever use the gun for clays and possibly decoyed pigeons. Can anyone see any problems or issues with this?

I guess what I am really asking is, why do most guns seem to come with 3" chambers these days?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

3" chambers are generally for larger loads, which would be used for geese etc.

2 3/4" chambers are generally more than sufficient for most jobs, pigeons, clays, duck etc.

3" loads are generally expensive and fairly fierce, fierce on your shoulder as well if you not using a semi.

A lot of guys I go out pheasant shooting with use old S/S and they are nearly all 2 1/2"

2 1/2" cartridges are generally nicer to the shoulder I think.

Unless you want to shoot loads over 40g or big steel shot loads for waterfowl then that chamber will be ok. I think the newer guns are chambered for 3" to allow them to use bigger steel cartridges? It's also said that the shorter chambers give a better pattern with the shorter cartridges than the 3" chambers do? Not sure how much truth there is in it. I think it will be fine for what you want it for :good:

Gun makers & the way they make guns have come a long way. Chambers have changed a great deal due to making a gun more versatile & it took off in the way of a lighter game gun with 3" chambers. Chambers are now taperd compared with the older guns where gun chambers were set size which restricted you to only use that size of cartridge as it was unsafe even if it was a shorter cartridge as the chamber meet the bore with a slight lip on it but now they taper without taking energy/velocity out of the cartridge. Like chokes now a days with all this back bored & longer forcing cones which causes less friction on the shot string comming down the barrel & is ment to help maintain energy/velocity out of the cartridge you shoot & best of all inprove pattern.

I have some Lyalvale 42g 3's and they are 2 3/4 inches long so you should be fine for clays and decoying.

George

Hi, Mate,

No offence intended what-so-ever, just erring on the side of caution. 2 3/4 long - fired or unfired?

Cheers

Edit: OK, decided to have a look for them. Fired it is. Sorry, mate.

Edited by wymberley