Repairing Aluminium

Norrie

Hiya, I'm looking for some help/advice guys..

I have heard that theres a product on the market in spray can form, that is used for repairing aluminium....seemingly, its sprayed on, and is " built up " in layers....:blush:

Has anyone heard of such a thing....I cant find anything on T'internet...:)

Thanks in advance ...

There used to be a product called Belzona which I used to repair cracked alloy engine casings on my Goldwings, not sure if you can still get it.

It was a 2 part material which was mixed together, then applied to a clean, grease and oil free surface and allowed to harden, then you could grind, drill or tap it out if required.

Hiya, Thanks for your replies chaps, lots for me to get thinking about there..:)

I just bought a little OMC Sea Nymph 12 footer aluminium boat, and as it used to belong to my local trout club, it was dragged up and down the slip, and not carried.. :blush: .the repairs I'm looking to do, are to the ends of the skids on either side of the bottom of the boat, its purely cosmetic, but I still want it fixed..:lol::)

I have found that if you take your eye off aluminium with a blowtorch you can end up with a bigger problem as it has melted into a bigger hole that you started with.

Can you pop rivet thicker aluminium plates over the area and glass fibre from within?

Check out Chemical Metal, it's a 2 pack product like body filler and you can then work it with a file or grinder with a sanding disk.

It's far easier to apply a little bit then a little more once it's hardened, it's rock hard and a PITA to remove once on.

Jon.

I have found that if you take your eye off aluminium with a blowtorch you can end up with a bigger problem as it has melted into a bigger hole that you started with.

Can you pop rivet thicker aluminium plates over the area and glass fibre from within?

i can ditto that re the risk of over heating with the gas torch rods.

An epoxy putty should do what you want and you should be able to get one the right colur.