Recommend digital scales & Calipers

Just buy a cheap set of calipers from Maplin or suchlike for a tenner, they are all far more accurate than we are and all more than good enough.

Anyone who tells you the dear ones are better is just feeling foolish for wasting all that money and even Mitutoyo are open to user error.

Scales are probably more important but I got mine off ebay hand they have been fine.

Edited by sitsinhedges

Cheap digital scales are notorious for having a tendancy for erratic readings ( If a gnat farts within 10 ft) , due to the sensitivity of the strain gauge technology they use ,I would use a reloaders beam scale to cross check them . As for the calipers do not get a set that reads only to .1 mm make sure they read at least to .01mm as .1mm is approximately 4 thousanths of an inch and is way to much to much of a tolerance to use in reloading.

My cheapish digital calipers were about £25, read to 0.005" or 0.01mm ... though I do have a couple of ordinary micrometers in the draw for a rainy day.

As to digital scales I must live in an area where the gnats eat beanz .. I got fed up with them and use a beam scale .. it doesn't go walk about every couple of minutes. Though it seems that there are reliable types - at a price.

But how much precision do you actually need - I would think that consistency and repeatability are more useful?

Cheap digital scales are notorious for having a tendancy for erratic readings ( If a gnat farts within 10 ft) , due to the sensitivity of the strain gauge technology they use ,I would use a reloaders beam scale to cross check them .

:hmm::hmm:

i cannot agree more, i wasted £30 + on a cheap set. if like you say £50 is your top budget get some beam scales or save some more money,

Cheap digital scales are notorious for having a tendancy for erratic readings ( If a gnat farts within 10 ft) , due to the sensitivity of the strain gauge technology they use ,I would use a reloaders beam scale to cross check them . As for the calipers do not get a set that reads only to .1 mm make sure they read at least to .01mm as .1mm is approximately 4 thousanths of an inch and is way to much to much of a tolerance to use in reloading.

There isn't a pair of digital calipers in existence than don't measure down to 0.01, there wouldn't be any point. I own several cheap sets from arceurotrade.co.uk and all my machines have them fitted on the ways and none of them have been anything but 100% reliable for years now. I do keep spare ones but have never needed to break them out :hmm: