SNOW COVERED RAPE........

SteveM

Hi all,

Sorry for the basic question.

I popped over to a perm today that I was planning on shooting tommorow.

Its over rape, which is up reasonably well. Though after lastnights snow, it is now semi covered. The field is blanketed (3 - 6 inches deep) but the rape is still up through it (another 4 - 8 inches above)

Theres been a few pigeons over it lately, but are they likely to feed in these conditions? It is by far the most advanced rape field in the local area, does this help?

If so, does anyone have any advice?

Thank you all.

:yes: SteveM

Pigeon shooting over snow can be very hit & miss, the birds can't see the deeks very well, they develop a sort of "snow blindness", and very often won't venture out onto the fields but prefer to stay in the hedgerows scoffing Ivy and Hawthorn berries.

They will, however hit the rape hard if there are none of these other food sources available, but if there were no birds on the field today, it's hardly likely to be blue with them tomorrow.

Cat.

In an ideal world it would snow tonight and leave that the only green bit around for miles.If it does take plenty of cartridges.As long as it is showing green they will feed on it provided it isnt too tall for them to land.

It is forcasted to snow in the area tonight, with the odd shower of snow getting lighter until tommorow midday.

I take it I should set up on the greenest area?.............

Its tall, but not too dense, so they should be able to land fine.

Will they land and feed in deep snow? (4 - 6 inches or so, deep for these parts)

Thanks for the help!

:yes:

Steve,as long as the rape is showing,you can get great sport with the doos.All else will be covered and it will be the only source for filling their bellies.I have had some great days or mornings in the snow on rape,but in a prolonged spell of hard weather,after a few outings i leave them in peace,as its a short feeding day for them and its better to allow them a bit of sanctuary.Remember with rape,winter feeding from pigeons has minimal effect on the crop itself.They will strip the plants,but it always regrows to yield.

Pigeon shooting over snow can be very hit & miss, the birds can't see the deeks very well, they develop a sort of "snow blindness", and very often won't venture out onto the fields but prefer to stay in the hedgerows scoffing Ivy and Hawthorn berries.

They will, however hit the rape hard if there are none of these other food sources available, but if there were no birds on the field today, it's hardly likely to be blue with them tomorrow.

Cat.

It borders a wooded area on one side, so I may try to set up around there.

Unfortunately, I only got to pop past on my way home from work, at closing light. The only birds around were game. So I think it was too late to really decide.

I know, fail to prepare etc etc. but Im up for giving it a go.

May sit in the car for an hour at first light and see if theres much around, before lugging the gear across the field.

SM

It is forcasted to snow in the area tonight, with the odd shower of snow getting lighter until tommorow midday.

I take it I should set up on the greenest area?.............

Will they land and feed in deep snow? (4 - 6 inches or so, deep for these parts)

Thanks for the help!

:yes:

I would get there just before 8.00am, watch which part of the field they are heading for, and go and set up there, (if possible).

Don't make the classic mistake of setting up where you hope they will feed, not where they are actually feeding.

The snow will probably develop a frosty crust overnight, the birds are quite happy walking on that.

Do you have a "Plan B" to keep them off other nearby fields of rape, are you putting out flags or banger ropes, if not you may have a very quiet day..??

Cat.

I would get there just before 8.00am, watch which part of the field they are heading for, and go and set up there, (if possible).

Don't make the classic mistake of setting up where you hope they will feed, not where they are actually feeding.

The snow will probably develop a frosty crust overnight, the birds are quite happy walking on that.

Do you have a "Plan B" to keep them off other nearby fields of rape, are you putting out flags or banger ropes, if not you may have a very quiet day..??

Cat.

The Perm comprises of around 6 large fields, only 1 - 2 can be shot before Feb. The owners have set up banger ropes in all of the other fields. So im hoping that will do the job. But I will have some flags in the car.

Thank you, I reckon thats what I will do, I will take the binos and have a coffee in the motor. I was planning on getting there 7.30 - 8.00.

Your help is much appreciated.

ps. I also saw the post about the tarp, but im afraid i have missed that boat, though it seems an inspired method!!! :yes:

SM

I drove round a few rape fields this morning and found one with plenty of action.The snow was covering most of the crop with bits of green showing,i set me deeks in a green patch and had a good few hours.(by my standards. 18)

What i did notice was lots of birds landing in areas with no green showing is this normal?

this field was being hit hard before the snow and i wonder if they are just turning up out of habbit.

ATB

Fielddweller

When we are talking snow covered rape fields ,we are talking hard weather for the pigeons . They have to feed every day through the hard times and will hit the snow covered rape ,particulary on the lee side of woodland and hedge rows where ther is likely to be more green rape showing . Pigeons dont like getting their feet dirty with clods of mud or lumps of frozen snow (they need to keep their feet clean so that they can perch )

and will try to land on any clear piece of the field . But in hard weather they will drop anywhere on the field to get a feed .

I too believe that they get disinorintated on snow covered fields and proberbly suffer from a form of snow blindness . I have stood under oak trees out in the open and shot pigeons coming in to sit up the tree without any kind of hide or cover what so ever . I also believe that they will get desperate for a feed in the hard weather and will just pitch in to any form of feed available .

Give it a try and set up in the snow , you just may get lucky .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

Hi again all,

Well I went along today, the car registered 9 below on arrival. (Not sure I trust the german temp gauge lol.)

I sat in the car for 30 mins whilst having a coffee and looking for signs of life, a few pigeons flighting, but nothing great.

Decided just to hop out and set myself up on the lee side of some 'sitty trees'. Luckily the snow held off lastnight, so the rape was as visable as yesterday.

To be honest, I didnt hold out much hope, but I was up and was desperate to use the sillosocks and magnet (pathetic i know :hmm: ).

I set up the magnet with hypa flaps, 12 sillosocks and 8 other decoys, in a general 'U' shape. And the hide tucked under the fir trees.

Ended up having an enjoyable time, plenty to watch whilst waiting between birds.

I popped the first two birds onto bouncers and flanked my pattern with them.

In the end, I fired 23 clear pigeon carts, with a return of 11 pigeons and a crow. (which i was pleased with, being fairly new to decoying, it being so bloody cold & me not being a particularly great shot/rusty)

I must say, the magnet/sillosocks worked really well, even with all of the snow. The birds were definately attracted to the general area, with the majority of my luck coming from them heading towards me, hoping to land in the trees. Also with some challenging crossers at speed.

Throughout the day, the sun thawed some of the snow to make more of the rape visable. Which certainly helped.

As I said, not a busy day by most standards, but a day most enjoyed!

Thank you all for your help on my post, it helps to hear what more experienced shooters would/usually do. :rolleyes: :o :good:

Thanks again!!

SteveM

Glad you had an enjoyable day, the weather conditions were not good, strong sun and no wind is never ideal, but you kept them off the field, and bagged a few birds, so the farmer should be happy. :rolleyes:

I hope you've learned that time spent on reconnaisance, (ideally the day before) is never wasted, I'm sure even OTH wouldn't disagree with me on that one..?? :o

Cat.