.410 vs 12 g

shawi72uk

I have both.

.410 for squirrels and close rabbits

12g for open fields, rabbits & pigeons

I like the .410 and learned to shoot using one 25 yrs ago, I love the mechanism of the b/a. :rolleyes:

Yes the 12g is perhaps more versatile.

(Think how many hammers you have for doing different jobs :o )

why use a .410 if a 12 bore is more powerful ?

Why use a 12 bore when a 8 bore/4 bore/punt gun/ 6 inch Naval Gun is more powerful? :rolleyes:

You usually get lighter loads with a .410 too, won't go as far, meaning you can use it on a permission that is too small to even think about using a 12 guage

I'm afraid that is wrong and is a dangerous way to think. The muzzle velocity of most .410s cartridges are about the same as 12 bores. The shot will hit just as hard and travel the same distance. The key difference as Edward points out above, is simply that the 12 bore has more of it.

i know this is a 12/410 discussion but ...

i have a 410/20 combo u/o its a pleasure to shoot being both subtle and interesting .i once had permition on land that came with the restriction of no 12g on the land due to horses and only 410s round the buildings so coming across this and it being a bargain to boot was inspired ,both barrels are 3" mag chrome lined it weighs nothing. i use it on vermin,game n clays with great success ...i can carry a full days ammo in 1 or2 pockets ,i can blat 40 out of 50 sporting and often challenge ppl to tell which is the 410mag shot and which the 20..so far no1 has been able to give a certain answer even when they have a few shots.

1 thing i cant explain is i always shoot better with the 410 barrel ,if im gonna miss its with the 20. and sofar a bunny has never been missed with that 410... alot more that i can say about my 12s

the downside is feeding it tho i do also have a 16g thats even more expensive to feed :rolleyes:

at the end of the day theres very very little that u can do with a 12 that u cant with a 410,and its done quieter too. plus theres nothing better than seeing the smurk wiped of the face of a shooter that a moment b4 said "does your daughter know you got her gun?" your turn mate!