shot gun storage

kiteman0

Take it out of the slip .It is not just because it may be damp but if it is cold and comes into a warm enviroment then any cold air trapped inside the slip will condense and provide a source for corrosion to start , The best thing to do is after you bring it in is give it a wipe with a lubricated cloth and leave it in the cabinet not in the slip or an form of wrapping.

Over the years i have seen so many guns that have been put away and stored when cold and then have a thin dust rust ring on the barrels where it has been in contact with the foam/felt/leather barrel supports in the cabinet due to the air not being able to get to that part of the barrel..

all true, iv seen ££££ knocked off guns cos they were slip stored, and oddly some ppl dont learn going on to do the said same thing with the next gun.as well as the damp <that is often undetectable> some slip linings over time can be death to barrel blue leaving fade streaks down the flanks. if you look on a gunsmiths racks you can tell those that were n those that wernt...

iv always used the napier safe pad in my cabinet tho now iv got a tiny lil rechargeable dehumidifier that you only need to recharge every 5months +/_

.. steve

Take it out of the slip .It is not just because it may be damp but if it is cold and comes into a warm enviroment then any cold air trapped inside the slip will condense and provide a source for corrosion to start , The best thing to do is after you bring it in is give it a wipe with a lubricated cloth and leave it in the cabinet not in the slip or an form of wrapping.

Over the years i have seen so many guns that have been put away and stored when cold and then have a thin dust rust ring on the barrels where it has been in contact with the foam/felt/leather barrel supports in the cabinet due to the air not being able to get to that part of the barrel..

I stand corrected :rolleyes:

Out of the slip and muzzle down if possible this allows any excess oil to run to the muzzle end instead of soaking into the wooden stock.

Blackpowder

I can see the logic and, coincidentally, discussed this storage method with two experienced shooting friends because I could get a better fit of guns in my cabinet by doing it this way with at least one gun barrel down. They had never heared of it and referred to Gunshops storing shotguns stock down. This to them indicated that if that's what gunsmiths thought should be the way then they would know best.

Any other views on the subject?

VMT

I can see the logic and, coincidentally, discussed this storage method with two experienced shooting friends because I could get a better fit of guns in my cabinet by doing it this way with at least one gun barrel down. They had never heared of it and referred to Gunshops storing shotguns stock down. This to them indicated that if that's what gunsmiths thought should be the way then they would know best.

Any other views on the subject?

VMT

coming from the trade i`ll tell you guns sit on racks butt down for 2 main reasons the 1st is aesthetic the 2nd is if you have ppl looking at them they get pulled about or put back badly which ends in catastrophic gun avalanches <even butt down iv seen a guy knock some 7 guns to the ground fully splitting a new summit`s stock amongst other damages inc a h&h royal that was a commission sale> your gunsmith may not have his wears snout down but i guarantee he would advise you to if you ask them...

steve

I read that advice about storing shotguns muzzle down years ago, I cant even remember which book or magazine it was in now. The reasons given were as hookbones has said, damage to wooden stocks. Most gun owners are probably over enthusiastic with gun oil, spray cans are in my mind one of the worst culprits in aiding and abetting over oiling. Despite trying not to that drop of oil on the ejectors becomes a flood at the touch of a button. Even when storing muzzle down I always wipe as much oil as possible from the action and barrel flats leaving only a thin protective film before putting the gun in storage.

Blackpowder

coming from the trade i`ll tell you guns sit on racks butt down for 2 main reasons the 1st is aesthetic the 2nd is if you have ppl looking at them they get pulled about or put back badly which ends in catastrophic gun avalanches <even butt down iv seen a guy knock some 7 guns to the ground fully splitting a new summit`s stock amongst other damages inc a h&h royal that was a commission sale> your gunsmith may not have his wears snout down but i guarantee he would advise you to if you ask them...

steve

Steve

Advice coming from the trade - I am greatly reassured. Thank you. I can now resolve my storage problems.

Bob