.17 hmr - couple of questions

Ozzy Fudd

just a couple of questions on the .17 hmr for those who know, as im getting seriousley tempted to splash out very soon (ie this week) :)

firstly, is a moderator really necessary? i never use a mod on the 10/22, but is a .17 that much louder than a .22 with hyper velocitys? and does this really matter with ranges of 80 yards+?

secondly, as the bullet heads are about half the weight of a .22 round, how badly are they affected by wind?

thanks in advance :hmm:

rob, did you not see the 17hmr that was being used yesterday?

it was a ruger 17/77 I believe, and they were using it to smash up the remains of the clays (that was at 173 yards IIRC)

it wasn't all that much louder than the .22

(o, and for the doubters, the most of the clays were shot by Babby's 10/22, that was well impressive)

rob, did you not see the 17hmr that was being used yesterday?

it was a ruger 17/77 I believe, and they were using it to smash up the remains of the clays (that was at 173 yards IIRC)

it wasn't all that much louder than the .22

(o, and for the doubters, the most of the clays were shot by Babby's 10/22, that was well impressive)

na mate that was a 22 magnum, youre right she was a ruger though, had a few shots out of it last year, its nice but prefer the 10/22, oh the range finder said it was approx 187 yards to those clays, NOT 140 as richie told me on xmas day :hmm::yes:

ps - before anyone says anything, we were shooting clays that had been set out on posts at the far side of the lake, not moving one

aye mate im looking at tannyoky now, seem quite pricey (but i know what theyre like anyway), im gonna try a place in newry this week, last year they told me theyd do a new mossberg at cost price, so ill see what they come up with :)

wind drift's pretty servere if it's much more than a breeze but predictable once you've got the hang of it.

Mod, well - it's quite a boom without a mod (similar to a 12g but deeper) I don't think you need to spend a fortune on one - the sonic crack'll never go away.

Imho - a very capable, useful tool but mine stays at home in windy conditions. Claims of 300yds? well it's not impossible - I've had a crow at 220yds but it's important to keep within your limits.

sorry ive only a .22lr (10/22) the magnum belonged to sum1 at our boxing day clay shoot. ive been looking something for longer range work lately (i dont like using the 10/22 over 100 yards), i had been thinking of getting a .223, but between the gf moving out (so less cash free) and the fact that 99.9% of shots would be on rabbits/crows im now thinking of a .17hmr.

ok, so far, if im right, the advice is that barrel length shudnt matter much (i wont be shooting from a vehicle), i defo need a mod, and if its windy i should just forget about it and take out the 10/22? :hmm:

A quote from my coach "the only way to learn to shoot in the wind is to get out and shoot in it" :hmm: You'll soon learn where to draw the line, you can get away with a little less than you would a .22rf. It's a predictable wind you want if any though.

barell wise I'd say it's more personal preference than anything, gun fit's more important - as is a good scope.

what are you for shooting with it???i gave 430 for this wee rifle including mod and got 4 boxes of ammo chucked in.

HPIM1799Small.jpg

ooooh jealous!! whered you get it from mate? its only really for rabbits, maybe the odd crow.

A quote from my coach "the only way to learn to shoot in the wind is to get out and shoot in it" :hmm: You'll soon learn where to draw the line, you can get away with a little less than you would a .22rf. It's a predictable wind you want if any though.

barell wise I'd say it's more personal preference than anything, gun fit's more important - as is a good scope.

cheers, ive got a 6-24 waiting to go on it, just need to get the rifle, a mod and a bipod, happy days :)

:yes: Personally, I think it's a good move - shame ammo's not a good bit cheaper but I'm very pleased with mine.

I'll warn you now though, sometimes they make quite a mess especially if you hit something hard - and for anything smaller than a hare (including the hare) steer clear of the hollow points (near full metal jacket), they just pass straight through without doing enough damage (unless it's a head shot).