hey all new here and new to shotguns

welsh warrior

Ryan, the most important thing about any shotgun you buy is that it should fit. Otherwise you'll never hit anything. I would not recommend acquiring one without the assistance of a decent shotgun coach or instructor. My first gun was sold to me despite fitting very poorly and like you I did not know any better at the time. It required extensive adjustments which cost quite a bit but at least I now know that the barrels are pointing where I think they are.

If you can get to a clay ground which has a gun shop on site and a helpful coach that would be a start. Despite the huge variation in price, shotguns are remarkably similar when you pull the trigger.

Choices include over/under or side by side (consensus seems to be o/u are easier to shoot accurately) automatic safety catch on when you close the gun (probably a good idea) automatic ejectors (ditto). Keep things simple - you can get guns with 2 triggers - maybe not a good idea for the novice. Whether to buy 20 or 12 bore, use of chokes etc, depends on use. If you want to shoot stratospheric driven game you probably want a 12 bore, if you want to go wildfowling you probably want a 12 bore with tighter chokes. If you want to shoot clays a 20 bore would be good to learn on. Get one with a recoil pad anyway.

Best of luck and don't get ripped off!!